1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Surprizing Reactions of Canon DSLR owners to the E-M5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by M4/3, Jul 19, 2012.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link to this thread:
    Cant decide E-M5 or "new" outdated 7D - Canon Digital Photography Forums

But I was really surprised about how many Canon DSLR owners advised someone to consider the E-M5 over a 7D. A couple years ago on that same forum most folks considered m4/3 cameras to be hopelessly inferior to the big DSLR's. Amazing how much can change in a couple years.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's because in all respects except for size and weight they WERE! Look at how overwhelmingly more capable the EM5 is than the flagship EP2 or GH1 from two years ago. THAT'S what's changed. It's not like those guys suddenly woke up and saw the light - the light just got a lot brighter!

Not to say you couldn't take great photos with m43 a couple of years ago, but the cameras were very limited and there were only a few decent lenses. Now it's a far more mature system in both respects.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  3. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    Olympus make great systems with very well thought out accessories. The grip available for the OMD is a prime example. Also the selection of lenses currently available for micro four thirds is impressive and will get better IMO.

I'm not a fan of prosumer Canons sorry ... they feel creaky and the 7D I tried a while ago when a friend bought one had a viewfinder like a tunnel. Image wise they're fine.

4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    And i´m still using GH1 :crying:

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sorry, not dissing the m43 cameras from a couple of years ago - I had an ep2 for a long time and I'm sure whoever owns it today is still making fine images with it. And the GH1 is a more capable camera in some ways. Just saying that if you were a dedicated DSLR user two years ago, there would have been no upside to moving to m43 other than size and weight, and there were a number of downsides relative to the DSLRs of the day. Today, there's almost no downdide other than shooting a lot of fast action, and there are plenty of upsides. I've been shooting nothing but mirrorless since I got back into photography in the Spring of 2010, so you don't have to convince me. But if you're trying to convince a Canikon shooter, you obviously have a much stronger case today than you did then.

-Ray

6. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    i was a previous Canon 7D user and ditched it as i always hesitate to bring the bulky DSLR whenever i go out. replaced it with an EM-5 and i now always bring my camera wherever i go :)

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    :thiagree:

I was one of the people leaving Canon APS-C camp and commiting to :43: with the OM-D. Prior to that I used a E-PL2 as a second system camera, mainly for Street Photography, as a lighter weight alternative for travel, etc. I made some great photos with the Pen but the OM-D is in another league. The E-PL2 is in my daughters hands now and I have a E-PM1 as an everyday small carry-around body. For the visible future, I see myself doing photography I'd be proud about, using a couple of :43: bodies: a current "top of the line" camera plus a capable/smaller/cheaper second body.

The way I see it, today the OM-D is a better choice, and dare I say not only "for me", but objectively, than any current Canon APS-C DSLR, and at least as good or better than any APS-C format camera on the market. I'll leave considerations about fast action, wildlife, etc, out of the equation; but, how many people use APS-C cameras in these genres. Apart from that, it suits my personal photographic philosophy much better. Also, you are buying into a system: having a great selection of :43: lenses is now a fact, not an expectation. It's not size or convenience or cost anymore. And, speaking or :43: possibly the new G5, the future GH3 and others will continue the trend.

8. At the time of it's release the GH1 wasn't that far off the then current EOS 50D. I'd argue that back then it was lens selection that was the bigger difference in choosing between the two systems.

9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    GF1 here. :rofl:

But in a few years time will M43 users be migrating to APS-C CSC as Sony produce decent pancakes, Samsung mature their system or Canon produces the ultimate compact?

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Why?

There is a hidden assumption (if I read it correctly) in your argument, that APS-C image quality and performance shall somehow be better than :43:. This is not supported by current data: the best :43: sensors/systems are directly comparable or better than their APS-C counterparts. As I said, it's not system size anymore.

Sony producing decent pancakes? Don't care, I don't mind having a pancake at every focal length. :43: pancakes are adequate for when they're needed. Samsung upping their game? Hasn't happened yet, we'll see. Canon producing the ultimate compact? Again, let's wait and see. Their mirrorless has first to take off, could take one or two years. What makes you believe :43: will stand still all this time? :wink:

To be clear: sensor size is the least of my considerations. It's just that :43: is in the lead (all things considered) of the mirrorless market right now. In a few years, we'll see. System cameras are tools. Whatever is right for you, at a given time. :cool:

11. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I don't expect that to happen on large scale. With larger sensors come larger and heavier systems. The effects of sensor size difference between m43 and APS-C IMHO are negligible - the difference is just so small. m43 is almost a 4:3 crop of 3:2 APS-C. The big difference is lens size - in APS-C lenses get much larger because of the aspect ratio.

M43 has a nice middle ground in terms of DOF and other image aspects. It will be increasingly accepted for professional video as well. To have lenses interchangeable between camcorders and still cameras is a great move.

I also think it will pay off that m43 is system entirely designed for digital. (FF and APS sizes both are remnants of film formats.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    good point.

13. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I saw that same thread and even added my thoughts to it - where were that there's no reason not to switch to m4:3, if that's what makes you happy as a photographer. Short of shooting something like sports, where you need the AF tracking, the E-M5 does everything my 7D did, and I like it worlds better.

I even shoot wildlife with my E-M5 all the time. The lens choice for it stinks - neither the Oly or Panny options are excellent, but even so I manage to make images and have fun. Plus - and this is a huge one for me at least - I'm not lugging several pounds of Canon camera and super telephoto around with me. It's a lot easier to hike with just a small bag and m4:3 kit!

• Like Like x 1
  14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, that's a fantasy. The best Sony APS-C sensors are still better than the one in the OM-D. Sony sensors of similar resolution have better noise and DR characteristics, and you can get much higher MP sensors with similar noise and DR to the OM-D. Any technology applied to an m43 sensor can be applied to one with larger photo sites and greater physical dimensions for improved results.

What is true is that for most uses the sensor in the OM-D (and the 16 MP Panasonics, for that matter) is good enough that you won't notice a difference in most situations. And as long as that's true, paying the price in terms of a larger / heavier system may not be worth it.

Well, I sort of agree with that, but not totally. I don't think I would make the step down to a Nikon 1 or Pentax Q sensor. Size does still matter, just not as much as it used to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I shoot Canon, both a Pro 1DMKII and consumer 40D with an assortment of Pro and prosumer lens. I am not giving up my Canons as they still fill a nitch ( canine and equine sports photography and wildlife) but I am finding for day to day use I love my little G3. For the casual to semiserious user I would not hesitate to recommend M43 cameras

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Sorry bud, but the VF on the 7D is huge, almost as large as the one in my 1Ds and 5D, and comparable in size to my OM1n, FTn or any number of film SLRs.

The EVF on the E-M5 is smaller than the OVF of the 7D, so I hope you like tunnels.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I loved my Canon gear (My last was a 40D) but for the photos I take the :43: format was capable of very similar quality in a much smaller size. It also simplified my gear: I used to own a DSLR for quality, a point and shoot for convenience and a Fuji bridge camera for decent quality when I traveled. My :43: kit covers all three needs very well. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Yes, I doubt he was looking through a 7d finder. The 7d is creaky, that's a joke.

19. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Meh, I like taking pictures. My EOS 10D, Ricoh GR1v & GRDII, Oly OM-1n, OM-4T, EP2, & E-M5 are just means to an end. :2thumbs:

If people really are THAT concerned about IQ of the E-M5 versus 135mm, may I suggest medium- or large-format? :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  20. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    DSLR owner reactions to my E-M5

I belong to several photography-based Meetup Groups in the Austin, Texas area. In the past month or so, I've attended three meetups with other photographers, who for the most part are using full frame Canon and Nikon DSLRs. I brought my E-M5 to these meetups. One meetup was a Lightroom class, and the other two were model shoots.

The Lightroom class was taught by a professional photographer in the Austin area. I've belonged to his meetup group for almost two years. His meetups involve indoor studio shoots with lighting and sets, a few outdoor shoots, and a few Photoshop classes. Up until a month ago, I brought my Nikon D5000 to his meetups. When I arrived for this class, the first thing I did was to show off my new toy - the E-M5. His first reaction was a worried look on his face. He is very up-to-date with photography, and knew a lot about my camera. The look on his face suggested that the days of the DSLR may be numbered - at least that was my interpretation.

Attending the model shoots were Canon and Nikon full frame users. The owners of both studios where the model shoots took place were very interested in my camera, and had lots of questions. At one model shoot, there was a local camera store employee who could not keep his hands off my camera. The models noticed my camera, but didn't say anything to me about it. And, some of the other photographers were very curious about my camera. One studio owner commented to me "this (m43) is the future".