Surprise! New Kodak fast and cheap MF lenses!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by napilopez, Oct 25, 2013.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...k-branded-glass-micro-four-thirds/#more-53492

We're talking about a 25mm f0.95, a 50mm f1.1, and an 8mm f3 fisheye. I'm really upset the 8mm isn't rectilinear, but the most important parts are that these seem to have decent quality, are smaller than other similar lenses for the system, and are set to cost only $400 each!

That 50mm f1.1 is really intriguing me. 100mm ish is my favorite portrait focal length, so this lens is poised to be a better value than the 42.5mm voigtlander I love. More importantly, look at it, it's absolutely tiny compared to the Nokton! Looks about the size of the 25mm f1.4.

Edit: I will likely be going to the Expo where these lenses were shown tomorrow. I was supposed to go today, but life got in the way. If I get the chance, I will definitely stop by this booth and report back with my impressions! Even better, I have the Nokton 42.5mm with me for a rental this weekend, so I can do a quick head to head.

After the Noctilux is released, I think we can confidently say that M4/3 isn't going to be left significantly wanting for it's bokeh abilities in portraiture anymore.

• Like Like x 14
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The real question is what the quality is going to be. Kodak camera equipment isn't made by Kodak anymore. The other items these companies have shown haven't been exactly premium products.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Regardless of the quality, this is far more interesting than an Androided Nikon J1 knock-off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Frankly, the best thing that could happen would be for these guys to use their manufacturing and distribution channels to re-label and re-sell the SLR Magic lenses, which are by all accounts pretty darn good, but difficult to find in the market.

5. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    True, but the 25mm f0.95 quite frankly looks better than it's voigtlander counterpart in the sample images they showed. At the very least, it certainly doesnt look like $600 less than the voigtlander. I'll hopefully find out more tomorrow!

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That is a surprise, since I didn't think Sakar had the Kodak licence...

The do own the Vivitar brand and have a couple lenses under that name, so why use Kodak?

Could be another lawsuit on the horizon... JK Imaging has the Kodak licence for cameras, while Sakar has the Kodak licence for accessories. They must be betting they can claim that a lens is an accessory.

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    All of the lenses "Vivitar" sells are Samyang re-brands.

Which makes me wonder, is this a new M43rds line of Samyang designs as well? Would be good news as Samyang designs tend to be quite good optically.

Some of the markings and fonts certainly look like Samyang to me.

8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The 50mm seems to be the lens on the middle and look very compact, shorter than the 25mm. As of the 50mm optical quality on the sample shots, the tripod mount looks very dreamy and too soft, while the portrait sample look very nice indeed. If it's really 400$ and less than 400€, I think we have a winner here! (While waiting for that hypothetical Nocticron!)

[​IMG]

Now that looks tiny!
    [​IMG]

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Gosh they look ugly for $400 dollar lenses...

The 25mm images are quite good but that's a crowded range in m4/3. The 50mm looks interesting to me at first but the f1.1 samples look extremely soft.

10. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You can get vintage 50mm and 55mm f/1.2 lens on ebay around $200, so this 50mm would need to offer something extra to justify the price.

The 25mm is justified given the speed and price, $600 less than the Voigtlander.

The fisheye is intriguing, depending on the price point and quality. It's faster than the Rokinon, which would be the main competition. I wonder if it is similar to the Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 for Sony E mount?

11. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    good to see more lenses for m43
    i would like to se something like a 28/35/40mm equiv to compete with the O17 and the P20, etc. to hyperfocal focusing in street photography.

12. MarinMervis

MarinMervis Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2013
    Houstan
    Wow. It really looks awesome i guess. Thanks for sharing the pics.

13. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well it got size advantage vs vintage lens and their adapter which add more depth.

14. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The 50mm looks very good with that sample shot! :
    [​IMG]

15. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I have not seen a single legacy lens at 50mm at f1.2 perform anywhere near where this lens seems to be performing wide open. It may be a little soft, but it doesn't appear to have a significant amount of ghosting and fringing from these two very limited samples. And there is definitely no legacy 50mm f1.2 anywhere near this size.

It's also worth noting that the headshot looks to be acceptably sharp, whereas the close focus shot may not be representative of typical performance. The voigtlander is wonderful at portrait distances wide open, but it terribly soft for close focus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    yes, now I've seen samples I'm a little more optimistic and the 50mm is quite a compact size,
    the 25mm should be the cheapest ultrafast lens for m43, something to be welcomed

17. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Good to know -- I haven't really been looking at lenses with that speed so I haven't compared. :)

If that's the case with production copies, then it does seem like a real deal. We also have to consider that the bloggers only had a short time with the lenses to test them, under less than ideal conditions. Production models may work even better, and may close focus better if you can use a tripod, etc.

18. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    These look pretty interesting and reasonably priced. Just wish they hadn't splash KODAK all over the hood !! :smile:

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Who would have thought Kodak would be making primes as some of the first lenses that they release? Manual lenses at non-Voigtlander prices is a good thing. I think that the pics taken from the lenses are promising. The more lenses the better!

20. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    a bit of black tape would not go amiss

I do like the look of the fisheye