1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Surfside Beach, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Folks,

Drove down to the condo in South Carolina yesterday...

After 13 hours of driving, it was nice to greet the sun over the Atlantic Ocean this morning. Sunrise Easter Sunday 2011 ...

G1 / 45-200 Panny / Handheld / Aperture 3 / Color EFX Pro.

Sunrise_45-200_Panny.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Very nice. Is this using the classical soft focus filter?

3. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice shot Alan! I'll be in Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks and hope to see similar sunrises every morning:smile:

4. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Nic,

It's glamour glow..... I really like it for this type of shot...

Cheers, Alan

(probably should have posted to Beaches)

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Walt,

I wish I knew you came down this way... though I should have guessed as the Canadian contingent is pretty strong here about.

Where do you stay?

Alan

6. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    We're renting condos in North Myrtle Beach. There are eight of us are coming down for a week of golf. We've been doing this for seven years, usually showing up around biker week.

7. Wonderful capture Alan.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That must have been a welcomed sight after 13 hours. How far is the condo? Not that I'm being competitive with the East Coast ...(lol), but (the big but) ... somehow the evening sun setting over the Pacific just seem so much more compelling and warm and embracing than early morning sunrises. :)

G

PS- Happy Easter to all ... and regardless of one's religious preference ... may we all act as brothers and sister on this day and everyday ... because each sunrise is a blessing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I vote for the Keys... a couple hours away from home, and you get both!

10. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Down The Road

Nice! I am just down from you in Pawleys Island!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Beautiful shot Alan. Great shot and even better processing. How do you find Color Efex Pro to work with? I use Silver Efex extensively but have never gotten into doing much processing with my color stuff, but this tells me perhaps I should start playing more. That's a lovely and totally appropriate effect for that photo. Nice job!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello and Thanks to all for the very kind words

Walt:

I had been visiting here since 1983 for a least 1 week per year. In 2005 I bought a place down in Surfside for a family getaway. it's been wonderful. And, this is where I met my lovely wife, who as it turned out was my next door neighbor!

Mark;

We'll have to get together one of these days for a refreshment...

Gary:

Truer words were never spoken. I am a complete subscriber to your theory.
    (Not the West Coast bias theory :rolleyes:)

Hera:

Thanks, I surely appreciate the compliment coming from you...

Ray:

I absolutely love both Silver EFX & Color EFX! It is precisely the reason I approached them as a site and contest sponsor.. Their software is wonderful to work with, and lets you capture the spirit of the photograph just as you saw it when you captured it... download the trial, or just wi the contest..:smile:

SRHEdD:

I love the Keys, but I'm quite happy splitting time between New England and surfside... I love the Carolina coast.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I do too. I used to rent a house in Buxton, or stay at a B&B in Manteo. Leave the top to my Jeep behind, throw in a bike, and hit the Brew-Thru. My wife has never been, so it is on my short list of places to take the family. I think I need my boys to be a bit older though, they might go stir crazy there. Mostly went to Ocracoke for dinner, sometimes Nags Head or Duck. I haven't been in years though, so, like the Keys, I'm afraid of what it must be like now.

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi SRHEdD,

You know, if you just keep going you'll sort of roll with the changes and also, you'll sort of know what hasn't been hacked...

Lot's of changes here since the 80's for certain, but many of them have actually been improvements over the past 6-10 years... Coming from New England, where the "old money" owns and makes the beaches private in many areas, the Carolinas are a breath of fresh air..

Even the fancy resorts have to allow public beach access, and the law says you can't close it off. It's actually really nice.

Cheers, Alan

15. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I'm not exactly sure where Surfside is, but I'll try to note the location when I'm there. The spot we stay is one of those tall condo buildings on N. Ocean Blvd. Here's a photo I took at sunrise last year from the balcony of our unit on the 11th floor. I took this shot with my little Panasonic FX-100.

Myrtle_Beach.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

• Like Like x 1