Surface 3 or Ipad or Android Tablet

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
IMO, it all depends on what ecosystem you're in. iOS, Android or Windows. I personally use iPads (iPad 3 and iPad Mini 2) but that's only because I live in a Mac ecosystem. I have a friend who uses a Surface Pro 3 and it's a beautiful machine. If I lived in the Windows world, I'd buy the latest Surface Pro 4 over any Android tablet.

chicks

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a work iPad Air, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, which is nearly identically proportioned, down to the 4:3 screen format. I sorely miss the extra two buttons on the iPad, especially the Back button. It's consistently in the same place on Android, but missing or all over the screen on iOS apps. Very annoying.

The iPad's keyboard layout is far less intelligent than the S2's, and its spell checker is really frustrating. The S2 also has a better AMOLED display. Greatly prefer Android's openness to iOS, but then I'm a techie geek. The S2 also has an SD slot which allowed me to add another 256GB of storage, nice.

About the only thing I prefer about the iPad is the lighting connector, as it goes in either way, no guesswork. I think the latest micro USB connector finally will do the same, but it's not on the S2.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Will chromebook be an option?

I'm surprised how much I like the chromebook that I got my daughter for school. I assumed it would just be good for google docs and email, but it is surprisingly capable for just about anything I've wanted to try on it. She doesn't want to go back to Windows now because the ChromeOS is so lean and easy to use.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I've been a tablet user for a long time. I bought my first Linux-powered Archos tablet 6 months before the very first iPad was launched. I even had a bit of a dalliance with a borrowed Windows tablet PC (running XP?) in about 2004. I have had a number of Android tabs (7 to 10 inch) and my family currently sport a couple of Kindle Fires. However I have now had a 4GB Surface 3 (non-pro) for a fortnight, and am totally wowed over by it.

Granted the Windows app store is distinctly sparse - but I don't use that many apps. Most of my tablet use boils down to browser and email.

For me, the killer thing is the fact that it is also a full-up Windows PC, with USB ports and micro-sd expansion, and I am realistically able to use PS and LR on it to do the occasional edit of RAW files straight out of the camera's sd card.

to the OP - I don't really know how this relates to your own likely usage. I suspect any of the proposed devices would be OK. I am a big Android fan, and don't really like IOS (I have used it quite a bit). My personal computing experience is very varied (from mainframes and punched tape, through Unix, Linux and Windows, not much Mac).

But I have so far been really pleased with my Surface. It won't totally replace my home desktop PC (especially for photo editing). But I will be (am already) using my desktop PC far, far less. And it makes a really nice tablet, albeit on the weight limit of what I can comfortably hold in my hand for reading etc. And the 3:2 aspect ratio is a good compromise for lots of different uses.

Rob

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not familiar with Chromebook. Not even sure if they are sold here as I don't recall them being advertised anywhere.

Chromebooks: Overview

Without doubt my most used web enabled device. Cheap, fast and so simple. Most of their functionality is web based, so they are fairly reliant on having an internet connection, and you can't install Windows programs, so no iTunes or Photoshop, but there are web based music players and photo editors. Mine has a full sized HDMI for easy connection to an external screen.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got a W-computer too equiped with i7 processor, 8 gb ram memory and a nvidia video graphics card.
Gotten familiar with my chromebook from samsung I have become a chromebook fan.
I love: fast start-up, getting rid of updating and scanning, I love no having / getting malware aboard.
A chromebook computer is low priced. Just give it a try, as I did.
I'm considering getting a chromebook with la arger screen, 13.3 or 15,6 inch. Well we'll see.

Kind regards, Herman

Latest threads

Top Bottom