Suppressing image display

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by the_traveler, Oct 1, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I shot a large fund raising event that included picnic, 5 k race, entertainment -over a period of 3 hours. I was pretty nervous because this was the first time I was depending on a M4/3 for a job; I've sold all my Nikon stuff. My nervousness was for nought. Images were good and the client is totally happy.

I shot an OMD 5 with the Panasonic 35-100 and an EP3 with EVF and 12-35. I was totally happy with the camera and the results except for one thing.

The rear LCD screen is turned off in normal shooting usage but I couldn't find a way to suppress the image display in the evf after shutter press.

There is no time (or need) for me to see the image. I want the EVF clear asap so I can frame the next shot. I can clear it by tapping the shutter release but that still adds time.

Is there a way to complete suppress image display in the evf after shutter release?

TIA,

Lew

[​IMG]

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I have not figured this out either except that holding the shutter button half way after making the shot keeps the live view on. if you take several shots without fully lifting your finger from the shutter button, the image review does not appear.

or you can tap the shutter button to make the image preview disappear immediately.

this is an annoyance for me too.

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I tried the holding shutter down partway and that seems to work but its a real delicate balance.
    Thanks for the hint.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Lew,

Oly's menu system usually has a setting that controls the time an image remains viewable for review after a shot has been taken. On the E-M5, do you know if this setting only controls the LCD, or does it also control the EVF?

--Ken

5. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Hi! Go to Menu -> Setup Menu -> Rec View then select your preferred option. In your case select OFF. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's in the set-up menu as Rec View Off. P 85 of the E-M5 manual.

7. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Perfect, thanks a lot.

After 8 years with Nikon equipment, I find the Olympus menu system fairly obscure and the manual similarly so.

Thanks again,

Lew

• Like Like x 1
  8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

It is a little disorganized compared to Nikon and Canon but pretty polished compared to Panasonic...

9. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Well, I don't get the concepts of the menu but I am slowly getting it set up the way I like.

For street shooting-like situations, it is unbeatable asaic. I love the look of the pictures, I think it handles dynamic range better than my D700 - and that whole equipment thing was just too heavy. And M4/3 is so much less intimidating to look through.

If I end up doing more race shooting than I anticipate now, I'll try the new one but so far I've been happy as a clam.