Support for PanLeica 100-400

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I have the PL 100-400 lens and when it is extended my ball head sags. I currently have a Markins Q3T ball head on a Gitzo 1542 carbon fiber tripod. I am curious about what type of support others use with this lens. I have health issues that keep me from successfully hand holding it.

TIA

I recently acquired this lens. I am currently using it on Sirui monopod with Vanguard SBH-200 ballhead and it has kept it steady (without sagging towards front). I have also rarely mounted it on a Leofoto CF tripod (really small, travel size) and while I won't leave that setup unattended, it has held well even with full extension. I do feel more comfortable with SBH-200 though.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
I recently acquired this lens. I am currently using it on Sirui monopod with Vanguard SBH-200 ballhead and it has kept it steady (without sagging towards front). I have also rarely mounted it on a Leofoto CF tripod (really small, travel size) and while I won't leave that setup unattended, it has held well even with full extension. I do feel more comfortable with SBH-200 though.
View attachment 806466View attachment 806467View attachment 806468View attachment 806469
I use a Calumet monopod and Benro ball head to support mine, for motorsport I loosen the clamps and support the lens as if the monopod was not there ,it simply supports the weight, but allows very smooth panning.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
either an extender foot to shift the balance point when you crank the lens out

or a bigger Markins head - Markins makes xlnt ball heads but it sounds like this one is undersized for the extended lens

or mount a giganto G9 body as a counterweight...

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I use a larger Markins, the Q10, on a Gitzo GT2541. When it’s mounted on the lens foot, there shouldn’t be any sagging - the weight of the extending front of the lens shouldn’t outweigh the camera hanging off the back. This is certainly true with my E-M1.3 - if the ball head is loosened, it sags backward.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
good ideas thanks I think that extend her foot would be a good idea because then I could slide it back and forth when I extend the lens out. And then if that doesn’t work I think I have your ball head might be in order. I do use it on a GH5 so I do have a pretty good amount of balance there.

or a bigger Markins head - Markins makes xlnt ball heads but it sounds like this one is undersized for the extended lens

Good ideas, thanks.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Are you mounting the lens on the tripod with the camera connection or with the lens connection?
It's hard to understand why extending the lens would overbalance the weight of the GH5.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Are you mounting the lens on the tripod with the camera connection or with the lens connection?
It's hard to understand why extending the lens would overbalance the weight of the GH5.
With the lens foot. I do t have a long one though. I am going to start by ordering he rrs one mentioned earlier.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert

I am mounting the GH5 on the other end.

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Regular
I use a Gimbal-type tripod head for the 100-400 mm. I use it on a Benro tripod or with a monopod also from Benro.
When using such a head you are free in your movements. In the extended position of the lens, the position is neutral. This can be adjusted by the QR plate on the Arca-type compatible quick release base on which the foot stands.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Using the tripod mount with the 100-400mm PL I've used a Arca Swiss Z-1 and two much less expensive options, Sirui K-10x B and the Oben BC-126 Ball Heads. The friction lock works extremely well on all three of these even with the lens at 400mm.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I use a Gimbal-type tripod head for the 100-400 mm. I use it on a Benro tripod or with a monopod also from Benro.
When using such a head you are free in your movements. In the extended position of the lens, the position is neutral. This can be adjusted by the QR plate on the Arca-type compatible quick release base on which the foot stands.

View attachment 807379

View attachment 807380View attachment 807381View attachment 807382
That Looks wonderful and that’s probably where I’m headed eventually.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom