Support for long lens w/o tripod collars?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SteveNunez, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a Panasonic G2 and really love the camera, this is my fisrt post here.
    I immediately purchased a Canon FD adapter and have been using a Vivitar 75-300 lens with moderate results. The images are softer than I'd like and could be vastly improved with tripod use.
    How are you guys (and gals) suporting long lenses that don't have tripod collars.......handholding doesn't seem possible all the time with good results. Older long lenses that are "shotgun" style where you pull the outer housing for focal length pose a problem.

Here are a few photos using this inexpensive lens handheld.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    There are lens support adapters of various stripes available on eBay and equipment vendors.

3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    When I use a rock or irregular object (or something that may vibrate), I use The Pod (green) with The Cube

Sadly, it's bulky enough that I sometimes forget to bring it, so I'm going to make a mesh carrying case for the pair of 'em.

4. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I picked up a fairly expensive Manfrotto support when I was shooting with an E-P2, but never use it now that I've switched to the G2. I've found that - despite being plastic instead of metal - the G2 is stable enough to hold even my fattest lenses (a Nikon 180mm f/2.8, a Contax 200mm f/3.5 and a Canon 135mm f/2) without wobbling or bending.

5. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    • Like Like x 2