Supplementing my m43 with another System...Sony

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 13thFloorPhotography, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Let me preface this statement, by saying that I am extremely pleased with my m43 set up, specifically the Olympus OMD with the 75mm. In fact, for my portrait needs nothing beats the OMD with a good prime lens whether it's native or adapted

However, now that I've been doing some event and product photography, I found myself needing a zoom and a second body. I've found that constant aperture zooms are extremely expensive for m43 bodies and opted to go with Sony (a58 to be exact) for my zoom needs.

Just wanted to know if people have done the same and what their experiences are doing this. I took the plunge, but haven't had the chance to implement a 2 body event, let alone two system approach.

Cheers and have a nice day

2. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oh I forgot to mention. My Sony a58 will soon be rocking the sigma 18-35 f1.8. Sigma seems to be making some big strides in the industry

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    yeah their pimping that thing out to all the systems, even making a ff version.. supposedly

4. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    If only they offered this lens to the m43 systems. This was partially the reason why I opted to supplement my current system. Well, that and the fact Sony is coming out with mirrorless Alpha body

5. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I have been thinking about complementing my m4/3 set up for a little while now.

At first, it was the Samsung NX300 + all those pancake lenses for the shorter focal lengths, but I am so invested in m4/3 lenses at short focal lengths (Rokinon fisheye, Oly 9-18, Panny 20mm, Oly 45mm) that it would be just too big of a financial loss to sell them off. Moreover, I have my eye on the SLR Magic 12/1.6 and PL 25/1.4.

Now, I have got the bug with the weather resistant Pentax K-50 + the two weather resistant kit lenses that combine for the focal range of 27-300mm. This set up is currently cheaper than one of those constant focal length Panny zoom lenses. We have different uses for a second system, but perhaps we share the final cost of investment as a common denominator.

I'll probably wind up getting a rugged-dropproof-waterproof camera.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, that's a perfectly sensible move. It will compliment your m4/3 system very well.

7. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Hey, what's up with all this Alpha-mount mirrorless talk! Stop it! ;)
    I just decided to jump into MFT by purchasing GX1, 14-42mm, 20mm, and I'm about to start selling my Sony A200 kit. Now, you guys are going to make me keep it and see if Sony mirrorless will be good, won't you?!

Seriously though, my A200 kit is not a serious piece of gear (18-70mm kit zoom, 75-300mm zoom, 50mm F1.8, F42AM flash), but if I had a mirrorless A-mount body, perhaps I'd consider saving the telezoom, prime, and flash for it.
    Then again, by the time it comes out and I'll be able to afford it, another 2-3 years will go by.

To the OP, I'm just a hobbyist, so no real advice here, but I did consider keeping my A200 with the telezoom and flash until I can afford the Panny 14-140mm II or 100-300mm lens. The sad part is that selling my whole Sony kit will just barely pay for one Panasonic lens.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those two kit lenses don't even compare to the speed, quality, and performance of a single Lumix X f/2.8 zoom. How is that a useful investment by throwing all that money into a downgrade? The K-50 will not be able to offer you anything useful from what you already have without adding some decent glass for a lot more money.

I would just stick with the system you have and save up for the faster zoom lens if that's what your goal is. Branching off needlessly like this is only going to drain huge funds in the long run. I know I've thrown away enough money myself by not just saving up for what I want in the first place.

Plus, from the prime lenses you currently own it looks like the only expensive zoom lens which would instantly fill your need for expansion would be the Lumix X 35-100mm. You won't have much need for the 12-35mm with all your primes, so if you have enough money to buy a whole new Pentax body then why not just save that money and buy the one lens you need? It will do so much more for you. With the decent glass in your m4/3 system I can't see the Pentax with kit glass getting any time off of the shelf. I have had dozens of different digital camera bodies and every kit lens I've owned has been kept in the box unused, left in the box with the warranty or sold off if possible. I've only ever mounted kit lenses on my bodies within the first month or two of starting a digital system.

The OP's consideration of a Sony SLT with f/1.8 Sigma zoom lens is a different story, as that will compliment his m4/3 system in a way that m4/3 can't yet cover. This Pentax setup just sounds to me like a deviation from your main system with no real purpose. If you don't want to invest in a good fast zoom yet but want to get that reach up to 300mm, then why not just buy one of the many slow xx-300mm zoom lenses for your m4/3 system? That would be a much cheaper alternative.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've got NEX & a few pieces of glass to go with it - nothing illegal about that move by me or you...:wink:

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    seems a little schizophrenic to me....

....having an M43 system and then adding 1.4kgs of weight for the equivalent of a 28-50 zoom....

11. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Schizophrenic seems extremely harsh and offensive. I would call for maybe bipolar =).

Weight never was an issue for me, just a perk with m43. At the end of the day I value IQ and range. Weight becomes less of an issue when I do product photography, since it's on a tripod, but thanks for the diagnosis

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree. You do not always need a small light system, but when you need one then you really need one. That's why m4/3 is my main stable, as it can be more than a small system but it can also be a small system when necessary. There are many times when that small system is not necessary though, and there is nothing wrong with having a larger system to compliment it. As long as it adds something different in strengths, which your SLT idea should. ;)

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Weight isn't everything to everyone :smile:

14. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    It comes down to cold hard cash for a weather proof camera set up.

It would cost $3,000 for the weather proof OMD or GH3 + those weather proof Panny constant zooms. It would cost less than $800 for that weather proof Pentax kit and a progressively lower price tag as time goes on. Also, I am just thinking about it. Money is currently a factor. That's why realistically, I will probably wind up with a rugged camera, something like a Fuji XP200.

I do understand where you are coming from. You've stated it very well: Good food for thought as always.

15. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I'm just wondering what the OP is finding lacking from his M43 system for "event and product" photography?
    I don't think that the m43 system is lacking in lenses that you'd find necessary for photographing events or products; 9-18, 12-35, 35-100, O12, O17, PL 25, PL45 macro, O60 macro, O75... This is pretty much the full monty of professional glass.
    If you're dedicating yourself to these disciplines, I think (regardless of what system you're using) the biggest improvements in your commercial image are probably going to come from an investment in some lighting equipment, both on camera and off.
    Just wondering, too, why you think the a58 will do for your photography that you can't do with m43? For what you'll pay for this APS-C, consumer-grade, plastic lens-mount, no top LCD Sony, you could nearly pick up a used Canon 5D MK1 or a Nikon D700 and have a real professional camera.
    Or better yet, put that cash towards some lighting or the m43 glass you feel you're missing...

16. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    It really boils down to numbers for me. In my opinion, Full Frame is not worth the money for me, that and I can't afford those systems. Additionally, Canikon also does not bode well with me because I personally don't like Optical View Finders. I have fallen for EVFs. To buy another OMD/GH3 plus a 12-35 will cost over $2k with taxes.

The Sony a58 with 2 lenses (luckily got the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 prime) for $600 out the door. Plus the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 was $800 out the door. That's a $1,400 investment with a zoom that is theoretically a collection of primes. The a58's IQ appear to be fantastic from what I've seen so far. The plastic mount, LCD are things I truly don't care for. To address your point about lighting, I have made my investment in LEDs, so I'm pretty much covered there.

My original post was more about how people dealt with two different systems while out on the field, range, price of zooms and so forth

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sigma 18-35, nice aperture but isn't it a bit of a limited zoom range?
    The old Olympus 14-54 & 12-60 spring to mind as something to aspire to, the new Lumix stops at 35mm too.
    Still, a decent compliment for the O.P. with the Sony SLSTs doing stuff differently to the m4/3rds.
    Personally I'd only go for APS-C big bodies if I needed and could rely on their focus tracking.

18. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

FX equivalent of 28-50mm.
    An m43 native lens of this range would be 14-25mm.
    It would be a nice lens for wedding group portraits, for example, or walk-around shooting at the reception.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What about a Sony α850 :confused:

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No camera system does it all. If the Sony meets some of your needs better, then go for it. I still have my Canon gear for those occasions I need to shoot fast moving action. The GH3 comes pretty close, though. Another generation of AF improvement and that need may no longer exist.