Supermaxv shoots film and asks Qs thread

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by supermaxv, Feb 19, 2012.

1. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi,

I just picked up an my first SLR film camera (a Minolta XD-11, probably the closest I'll ever get to owning a Leica, hah). I already had a few Minolta lenses I use with my E-PL1, and the price was right. I just shot a roll to make sure the camera works and I'm super happy with the results (and this is a pretty crummy scan from the Photo CD provided by Walgreens. Luckily I live right around the corner from a reputable independent photo lab).

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/edtang/6894952853/" title="Helicopters ready to take off. by Ed Tang, on Flickr"> 6894952853_8f2511e1e2. "500" height="332" alt="Helicopters ready to take off."></a>

I think I'll be using it mostly for black and white photography, and just loaded a roll of Ilford HP5 procured from where I buy my legacy glass (they were out of the Kodak Tri-X 400 I wanted to try out).

Anyone have recommendations where I can go to discuss / learn about 35mm photography on the internet? Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This could be the place. What do you want to know? I still shoot film as well.

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Ditto - my 'full frame sensor' is still film :)

Plenty of film fans on the site that also use m43.

I've had a bad run recently - my last two rolls of expired slide film didn't come out very well at all (6x6 on a Rollei and 35mm on a Nikon FE).

Ah well, the best thing about expired film is its cheap to shoot :)

On negative note - anyone seen the price of new slide film recently ? $30 a roll in NZ ! Ouch.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shot B&W film from the 60's to the 90's ... Start the discussion.

Gary

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well you are at the right place. I too still shoot film, and before march of 2011 i didn't even own a digital camera. Also 99% of my Manual-focus gear is Minolta, that is down 1% from two years ago. AND I have lots of Minolta Rokkor and third party glass for that mount, many pretty fast, that i use all the time. That XD-11 is a beautiful camera. I sorta wish I still had one, but i hardly shoot in modes other than manual plus having TTL flash was important to me. I shoot lots of B&W all the time too. I'm not sure of your dark room and B&W experience but I like a thick negative so I rate that Tri-X 400 at Close to 300 ASA, I forget the increments right now. I think I use 280.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah,
    Another film shooter! :bravo-009::thumbup::2thumbs:

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Expired b&w, no problem. Maybe a bit more base fog. But expired colour film is a lottery unless you're sure it's been stored well.

As for NZ film prices, ouch indeed. And you can't get Rodinal anywhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Mu-43 App

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Been starting to shoot films lately too. Shootig with a yashica 35 gsn and a medium format lomo camera.

Fun stuff!

Im trying to learn how to process/develop them... Not quite there yet LOL

9. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    Im shooting film too Olympus Trip 35.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1 :biggrin:

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Check out the rangefinder forum, I'd imagine there's a lot more film shooters over there than you'll find here.

12. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Awesome, Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm also seeing this as my "full frame" system. I don't see a point investing in another crop sensor digital camera system (it won't noticeably improve what I like to do) and I'm not interested at all in a FF DSLR. Just shooting the first roll has improved how I interact with my E-PL1 too; i'm already being much more careful getting the composition right and not just spraying away at what I'm trying to take a picture of.

A few newbie Qs:

- Is it necessary to refrigerate my film?

- Any "classic" 35mm film recommendations to try out? I know that's a silly and vague question, but I figure I'd ask. I am looking for stuff that's unapologetically analog and film-like (so stunningly smooth grain, for example, is not what i'm looking for)

- How do you guys handle the transition from film negative/print to digital?

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I occasionally shoot film. I have a Konica Auto S3 and Olympus Trip 35 that like to get out from time to time. Favs...Ilford XP5 400 and Kodak Tri-X 400

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you store the film in a climate controlled environment, you should be okay (ala 70 to 85 - ish F). Refrigerate, especially for long term storage, if you can.

If you want the film experience ... Go for Tri-X and develop it yourself. Color is more subjective with less room for experimentation and less tolerance for inaccurate metering. Try wharever color film you can get you hands on and experiment away.

BTW- B&W developing is pretty easy and fast.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

PS- As for the transition, I found that the main dif for me was metering. I have to be much more careful metering in digital to attain the results I desired, then with film. The biggest transition, (again for me), is between shooting color and B&W. If you shoot B&W film you need to see in B&W when you shoot and not in post.
    G

15. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    Yep me too. I prefer my film camera in both feel and use to m4/3 in most situations. Part of that is because I can afford beautiful lenses for my fd mount canon. My $10 135mm 2.8 is simply stunning and I have actually gasped when looking through the viewfinder before!

16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Ilford HP4 & 5+

Fuji Provia and Astia

Kodak Tri-X and Portra

Agfa APX

If you live somewhere bright and sunny - Fuji Velvia for the win !

17. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    super excited as i will be posting in this thread soon.....will be picking up a olympus pen f and lens soon!

and i'm not going 'full frame' with film....heh

18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    - Yes, I keep my film in the refrigerator, but not frozen. I use it often enough that I don't need to worry about very long term storage

- Classic films are Kodak Portra 160NC for portraits, Fuji Velvia 50 for nature, Tri-X for B&W, to name a few. There's also Ektachrome, Astia, Sensia, etc., etc. Start with some of those and see if you like them

- I get the film developed negatives only, uncut. I use an Epson V750 for quick scans, and a Screen Cezanne for high resolution archival storage. I calibrate both scanners' output by taking a shot of a target for every different film I use and using that as a calibration target