superfast lens vs speedbooster + fast lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcr20190, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jcr20190

jcr20190 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2013
    hi, im thinking on buying a fast lens, at first i was thinking in the voigtlander 42.5mm 0.95, but also about speed booster + some fast lens like 50mm 1.4, i want to make full body portraits with some subject isolation, i saw some pics with the voigtlander and it looks great, but can the speed booster make similar pics? the principal advantage i see in the speedbooster is that i can use different lenses but i havent read enough about it

2. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I think the speed booster has to be specific to your camera type and also specific to the lens manufacturer. For example a micro 4/3 to Nikon speedbooster. I'm not sure what other permutations are available (in fact if they did a speed booster which was micro 4/3 to Canon I would be quite interested in trying it because I have loads of Canon lenses). On a micro 4/3 camera I believe the speed booster will give you about a x0.71 FOV. In other words a bit wider than what you would normally see when using a micro 4/3 lens, it would be more like APS-C. As far as depth of field goes, I think the speed booster gives you an additional stop of shallowness (whether or not that translates into an extra stop of exposure I have no idea, I'm sure someone else can answer that).

3. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Out of curiosity, have you tried the PL25/1.4 (FOV/DOF equivalent to a 50/2.8 on FF) or O45/1.8 (FOV/DOF equivalent of 90/3.6 on full frame)?

5. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I agree with carpandean's recommendation of the PL25, it's fabulous. It has a character which is hard to define.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've used the Nikon - μ43 speedbooster with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 for Nikon F (=41mm f/1) for what you're describing. It works quite well. I don't have any full body portraits, but its would be nearly the same as the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/.95 in terms of DOF & subject isolation.

So other Speedbooster combo's that could be effective for what you're wanting to do...

Canon FD 135mm f/2 + FD speedbooster = 95mm f/1.4
    Canon FD 85mm f/1.2L + FD speedbooster = 60mm f/.9
    Minolta MD 58mm f/1.2 + MD speedbooster = 41mm f/.9

Any of these would be pretty awesome combinations for what you're wanting to do.

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The closest thing out there to the Voigtlander is the Minolta 58 f/1.2 + Metabones (and only Metabones) Speedbooster that Maubrey mentioned. The effective FF equivalency between the two for focal length and DOF are:

Voigtlander = 85 f/1.9
    Minolta = 82 f/1.7

That should give you pretty much precisely the same DOF. The Voigtlander will probably have a little better corners though, but for a full body portrait that shouldn't matter much.

The Minolta/Metabones (MM) combo will run you about $800-$900, the Voigtlander $1000.

The upside for the MM combo is that you can adapt other lenses with it as well, such as the 100 f/2 (142 f/2.8 equivalent), which should also give pretty shallow DOF.

You could also keep the cost under control with the Minolta 58 f/1.4 for 82 f/2 equivalency, which will be very close to the Voigtlander DOF and will cost only about $450-$500 total, with the speed booster.