Super zoom (WA to Tele) options for OMD E-M10 / PEN E-PL2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by agnieszka, Jan 11, 2016.

1. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    Hi,

So i would love to get a lens that does wide to telephoto in one. I almost bought the (FT) O18-180/3.5-6.3 ZD lens but was advised against it (for my cameras E-M10 and E-PL2) in another post here on the forums. So i was wondering what are my options and also what i might need to be aware of.

Thanks to Four Thirds I know of:
    * (FT) Panasonic Leica 14-150/
    * (MFT) Panasonic Lumix 14-140/3.5-5.6 (Power) /4.0-5.8 (Mega)
    * (MFT) Tamron 14-150/3.5-5.8
    * (MFT) Olympus 14-150/4.0-5.6 II

Are there any other suitable contenders and which might be better suited to my cameras? What are people's opinions regarding this. thanks.

Additional info:
    My E-PL2 is infrared converted, so i won't be shooting as often with it as with the E-M10. So if a lens works brill on the E-M10 and less so on E-PL2, it's not a deal-breaker. But i think i definitely need AutoFocus to function.

Ideally, i'd prefer for my E-M10 to be able to write the lens info (make/model/etc) to EXIF in camera, so i guess native/FT is must but don't even know if that means panasonic is out of the picture (how native is panasonic to olympus when both are MFT)? that said, if any of the other lenses are ludicrously better than the O14-150, i'm happy to forego EXIF convenience and will just tag appropriately in LR.

I already understand the optics might not be as great as with narrower focal range lenses, and certainly not like primes, but i'm looking forward to not needing to swap out lenses so often in casual use. Also the lenses i plan to retire are just kit lenses, so i suspect i won't be over compromising. Chances are i won't be getting rid of the other lenses i already own that fall inside the focal length, but that does depend on performance of the super zoom in my hands.

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I don't have any of these lens so I can't help with most of your questions, but I can answer this part. Panasonic MFT lenses have full communication with Olympus cameras and write full lens info to the EXIF - I know this from using the 20mm and the 12-32mm frequently on my E-M10. So that should not influence your choice one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I purchased the Oly 14-150 II to replace the kits zooms mainly so that I could reduce lens swaps. The lens weighs slightly less than the two kits zooms together, so you save in overall weight. However, it is much heavier than either, so balance on the camera is different. To me, that is the only downside. It takes some getting used to.

As for taking photos with it, it seems to be on par with the kit zooms. I haven't seen any real difference in the images that I can get. Yes, it is a slower zoom, but that is the compromise that you have to live with.

I don't have experience with the other superzooms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You really have only four options (all native MFT):

Oly 14-150 4.0-5.6 II (weather sealed)
    Pana 14-140 3.5-5.6 (not the 4.0-5.8 version)
    Tamron 14-150/3.5-5.8

From what I've read the Pana should be the best one, with a smaller minimum focus distance too (30 vs 50 cm). All are good lenses, Oly and Tamron seems on par. All of these lenses are much better on the wide side and the tele part suffers most.
    Have a look at the showcase threads to see what these differences mean in real life.

If you want to save money there are:

Oly 14-150 (identical to the new version, except for weather sealing and better coatings)
    Pana 14-140 4.0-5.8 (a different lens, a little worst then the others)

Only the new Oly II is weather sealed, your current cameras are not, but if this is of value to you and if you plan to get an E-M5 or E-M1 this could be a plus.

Pana, Oly and all native m43 lenses can be mixed without problems and big differences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    Thanks guys! That's quite helpful :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think cost-no object, the best lens of the bunch optically is the Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6mm (the 2nd version). But when cost is in the mix, the older Panasonic 14-140mm f4.0-5.8 is still a good lens, but is dramatically cheaper. The main downside is that it is physically larger and heavier.

If you had an E-M5 or E-M1 body, I would probably recommend the Olympus 14-150 version II, simply because it is weather sealed. But because neither of your bodies are weather-sealed, it does not have have advantage optically, physically, or price-wise over the 14-140 version II.

I have experience with the 14-140 f4 and it works well enough for me and was very affordable (I paid $350 CDN a couple years ago). Which is to say, because lenses like this exist for M4/3, I would never even consider having a 14-42 + 40-150 kit zoom pair, because any optical differences would be pixel peeping, and the lack of flexibility is huge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    FWIW, the MK I version of the Panny 14-140mm is a bit bigger and quite a bit heavier than the MK II. That makes it cheaper on the used market. I think the consensus of tests is that the MK II is a little bit sharper. I had a MK I but replaced it with a MK II due to the reduced weight and size when traveling. Unless a 12-140 comes on the market, I'll probably own the MK II forever. It's a great lens, as was the MK I.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I am also looking at replacing my kit zooms with a 14-150(or 140 for the Panasonic). I had not realized that there was a Tamron which covered the range as well. Just looked at the image showcase and there do not seem to be very many images. Would any owners like to comment on IQ vs. the O14-150II or the P14-140 mk2?

I am asking mostly because there does not seem to be any obvious niche that the Tamron is addressing as a third party lens (similar in weight, size and price). So I am curious as to why it exists.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm guessing Tamron just wanted to see if they could get a few $$$ of sales in a popular market segment. I'm not sure if they're efforts have been justified, sadly...they would have done better to convince buyers with a lens that actually differentiated itself.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have no idea why the Tamron exists. It was announced and then a year or more elapsed before any examples showed up. I was keeping an eye on it in hopes that it would equal the MK II Panny optically and in weight, but be significantly cheaper. Since that did not happen and I have Panny GX7 bodies, the MK II was a no-brainer for me because of the OIS.

My best guess is that Tamron Manufacturing could not hit their cost targets, necessitating an uncompetitive price for the lens.

11. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    Just to clarify, Mk I = the 4.0-5.8 and Mk II = the 3.5-5.6? Mk I vs II is what we photogs call it, rather than what the manufacturer has designated. Just making sure that if i see a P14-140/3.5-5.6 i don't need to be careful about which mark it is?

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, that's correct. It's just easier to distinguish rather than listing the full aperture range.

• Like Like x 1
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. The f-stop tells the tale. The price should, too. A year or so ago when I went for the MK II I think it cost me $200 (used) more than I was able to sell my MK I for. If you look at pictures of the two, you will see differences in the focus and zoom ring placement too.

14. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Allegedly, the Pan. 14-150 II is sharper at the tele end, while the Oly. 14-150 II is sharper at the wide end. I have the latter - it is super-sharp in the center from 14 to about 70mm and gets less sharp from there. Nothing I mind, but the difference end-to-end is significant. Also, edge sharpness can be much lower than center sharpness with these zooms.

What the 14-150 II has going for it: on sale, weather-sealed, superior lens coatings (resist chromatic aberrations).

If I remember right, the Pan. 14-140 II is smaller than the Oly. lens, but is very vulnerable to shutter shock. Could be a deal-killer.

I'd forget the Tamron lens. If you want to compare it with the others, I only know of one site that has tested all three - ephotozine.com.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd also suggest the Panasonic 14-140 II.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Why it doesn't help OP, I got the Oly 14-150 II in the Olympus refurb, black friday sale for a pretty darn good price. It might be worth waiting out for another good deal if you go the Oly route.

• Like Like x 1
  17. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    FWIW I've seen a few cases where one panasonic lens has been listed for sale with the specs of the other. So just in case you think you have found a bargain, things to look for are:
    Pan 14-140 4.0-5.8 (Mk I) - Model No. H-VS014140, Mega OIS, 62mm diameter filter thread
    Pan 14-140 3.5-5.6 (Mk II) - Model No. H-FS14140, Power OIS, 58mm diameter filter thread, has "HD" in red on the side of the lens below "14-140"

Here's a side by side comparison of the 5 options:
    Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

I had the Pan 14-140 II and it is a great lens. I sold it when I purchased the 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 pair but I'm considering getting it again for travel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Thanks everyone. I guess I can forget about the Tamron and go back to trying to decide between the Olympus and the Panasonic. The Oly is currently on sale for USD 399 in the US, so I might just decide to go for that. I am still hoping that someone will release a 12-100 f2.8-4 zoom one of these days.

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have done a few hours of shutter shock testing with that lens on a GX7 using several different tripods. Yes, there is a phenomenon called shutter shock. No I have not seen it to be a practical issue in taking thousands of M43 pictures. (Which is the purpose of these tools, after all.) IMHO SS is just one more thing to engage the pixel-peepers. Some will be in violent disagreement with that opinion, however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    [QUOTE

If I remember right, the Pan. 14-140 II is smaller than the Oly. lens, but is very vulnerable to shutter shock. Could be a deal-killer.[/QUOTE]

Shutter shock should not be an issue on your EM10 as you have the 0s Anti Shock mode which uses an EFCS to reduce shutter shock
    I wouldn't worry about this issue and would recommend the Panasonic Mk2 14 - 140 - much lighter and much better balanced on the EM10 than the MK1 would be
    IMO the Mk1 is too heavy for the EM10 ( ideally speaking)

You might wish to consider the Olympus ECG1 grip which is inexpensive and transforms the handling of the EM10 especially with larger lenses without significantly increasing the size of the camera
    Regards
    Rob