1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Super wide recommendations?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scuba_suzy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    London
    hello

I'm thinking about getting a super-wide lens for my Oly OMD. I will already be ordering the Pani 8mm FE for underwater work but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a similar but rectilinear lens for landscape? I'm used to my tokina 11-16 (on a 1.5 crop) so around 8mm on the oly is about right.

thanks
    Suzy

2. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    If you need 8mm, the only way to go is the Panasonic 7-14mm. Expensive, but very good.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Welcome aboard Suzy.

There are really only 2 to choose from here...the Oly 9-18 and the Pana 7-14.
    I've had both and settled on the Pana 7-14, IMO it's an absolutely stunning lens and 7mm (14mm FF eqv) is crazy W-I-D-E ! I think it's optically a better lens than the Oly 9-18 by a small margin but there are things to consider.

The Pana is a little bulkier, but it is also a constant f4 whilst the Oly has a variable aperture. The Pana also doesn't take filters where as the Oly does. But despite being a little bulkier, more expensive and not being able to take filters, the Pana is still considers the pinnacle as far as ultra-wide native zooms is concerned...it is THAT good ! But you shoot an EM5 (like I do) and unfortunately, the sensor of the EM5 tends to a very distinct purple flare/ghosting...I notice it with several lenses but none more so than with the P7-14....perhaps it's the crazy wide angle that just aggravates it but all too often if shooting into sunlight, the purple flare issue will show up in its most ugly form, solid purple orbs !
    It is enough of an issue that many shooters here will use the lens on a Pana body if they have one rather on their EM5. Myself, I have also recently been considering selling my 7-14 because of it ! I love the lens to bits and I do think it has more 'wow' than the O9-18...but all too often I am discarding otherwise really interesting and nice images simply because the purple orbs are TOO apparent and can't be post-processed out. Thing is, I'm quite settled on the EM5 as being my main camera for some time yet so if either go...it'll be the 7-14 that goes (as much as that would hurt) !

If there was no other alternative it would be a major problem, luckily though, the Oly 9-18 is an excellent option.

Good luck.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I went with the Olympus 9-18, and I really have no regrets for my purchase. The price does not break your pocket, and it is very in light weight. The images that I get from that lens are very sharp. I would suggest you go to your local dealer with your camera and take some shots with both lenses on YOUR camera. Take your card out at home when you have some time to really look at the images from both lenses to compare them in quality, because that is where it is going to matter. Good luck in your purchase. :2thumbs:

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Other have mention the Panasonic 7-14/4 and the Olympus m.ZD 9-18/4-5.6.

If you don't mind a slightly larger lens, the Olympus ZD 9-18/4-5.6 4/3 version (not m4/3) is actually the optically better and less expensive lens ($400 refurbished) of the 9-18 options, although you do have to factor in the cost of an adapter ($50 or so).

6. scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    London
    hmmm lots to think about there. Great advice - thanks everyone!

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Has this been definitely attributed to the sensor as opposed to Olympus' decision not to correct CA in their JPEGs?

I guess it would be easy enough to take the same photo in RAW using an EM5 and (for example) a G3 and compare the result.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not the standard purple/green fringing around lines/shapes that characterizes lateral CA. It presents as a particularly obnoxious sort of flare, which is much harder to correct. It seems unlikely that Panasonic can do something with in-camera processing that Adobe et al. can't manage in their desktop products.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yeah, if that's the case I agree it's unlikely Panasonic sensors have the same issue and simply solve it with software.

Oh, well; I can't afford the 7-14 right now anyway. :)

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The biggest drawback of the P7-14 is the purple CA. My copy is relatively controllable, but I've seen other images where the CA is just this purple monster.

On my copy the CA only raises it's purple head when the lens is pointed directly into a strong light source. My experience with the lens is that I would most certainly buy it again.

Gary

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Interesting that the purple flare issue may be copy-dependent. The one I tried on my E-M5 was horrific: almost impossible to get a clean shot outdoors.

Based on that experience, I kept my 9-18 (m43 version) and am very happy with it. I even compared it to the 12mm f/2, and found the difference in IQ minimal for my eyes.

Given the IBIS, I can live with the (relatively) slow 9-18, and its other advantages: small size, light weight, flexibility up to (almost) normal focal length make it one of my favourite lenses.

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I like my 9-18, though if somehow the purple blobs with the Panasonic model are fixed, I could see myself switching back to it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    There are good deals of the Olympus 9-18 to be found. This, and the fact that it easily accepts a filter sold the lens to me.

Otherwise I wouldn't let the Panasonic 7-14 lens be out of contention because of the purple flare issue. 14 mm-e vs. 18 mm-e, that's a significant difference at the widest end.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm looking at the same decision myself. Could one of the 7-14 owners post an example or to of the purple fringing? Would be good to see its extent in the flesh, so to speak.

15. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Get the 7-14. It's an absolutely stunning lens. I had it since launch and took it everywhere. It's IQ is on par with the Nikon 14-24 I once owned. Only caveat is that it's a bit bulky and can't take filters (size is the reason why I recently sold it - I want my travel kit as small as possible).

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  17. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    The 7-14 is fabulous. It seldom leaves my camera.

18. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Here is an example, if you click on the flickr link, you will find more, but I will always have this lens. I love the quality of it.

_3081880.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

19. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have the 7-14 and use it with 3 Pany bodies (G3, G5 and GH3) and have no issues with the purple fringing at all, I did experiment once by shooting directly into spotlights and that was the only way I could create the purple effect but even then it was minimal so maybe it's is combo of lens dependent and using a Pany body.
    I love the 7-14, used to have the 9-18 (both 4/3 and m4/3 versions) and it's a good lens but I prefer the 7-14.

Paul

20. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Pretty sure the purple flare thing is only on the E-M5.