Super Telephoto for M4/3 (OMD-EM5)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hithere, May 20, 2013.

1. hithere

hithere New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2012
    Just wondering what options (old or new) are there for Super Telephoto lenses?
    Preferably, full-frame (adaptable), prime and non-SLR (as I'm hoping for something small)
  2. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    I have a Canon FD 135mm f2.8 which is same sized as the 12-50 (with the FD adapter) and it's a joy to use with the OM-D (and very cheap)
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What do you consider a super tele to be? In old 35mm full frame terms it is usually anything over 300mm. The same angle of view on m4/3 would be anything over 150mm.

The only "new" options are the Panasonic 100-300mm and the Olympus 75-300mm. Both are good lenses. Neither is very fast although the Panasonic is about a half stop faster. The Olympus is smaller and lighter and just got re-released in an updated version.

Vintage slr lenses are very affordable but not light or compact and since many are old they have horrible chromatic aberration. The best non-slr telephotos would be rare lenses and likely to be very expensive. Probably the best balance between these two would be m42 screw mount lenses. The Pentax Takumars are very good but expensive. Off-brand lenses in this mount, such as Vivitar, are much more affordable.
  4. hithere

hithere New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2012

I guess I'm interested in a +400mm (35mm equivalent) prime, in the f/2 - f/5.6 range. That is still compact enough to carry/handhold. Old glass is desirable as long as I can easily find an adapter. And if it's actually affordable that would be great :wink:
  5. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    The 4/3 50-200 is still a damn good lens. Add the 1.4 tele-extender, and you get up to 560mm, use the 2x digital TX and you get 1120mm. I use the MK1 and the P100-300 (1200mm) for very long reach. 50-200 is hard to hand hold, but the Panasonic works well.
    That's about as Super Telephoto as you can get.
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    There are no teleconverters for m43 yet, right? Do we know if Oly/Panny have any plans to make them?
  7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    First they need some lenses that would even make sense putting a TC on. The 100-300 struggles as it is, I can't imagine putting a TC on it. Sure some of the existing primes would take one, but 2X TC on a 75mm doesn't exactly get you "super telephoto".

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Well, 300 equivalent is still longer than 150 - I'll take what I can get :D I know what you mean though.

I was really considering bringing my Canon 400 out with me today, but I don't fancy trying to pull focus manually all the time with an supertele.
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  10. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I picked up one of most compact and portable of all supertelephotos recently, the Vivitar Series One 600mm f8 solid catadrioptic lens. Extremely compact because it's solid glass and mirrors, it is also only about 3 lbs or so. Quality isn't quite up to, say, a Zuiko 300 f2.8+2x converter from 4/3 via adapter, but far smaller and above all far cheaper: I got mine here in Germany for less than $250, without case or filter set (but it had the screw-in UV filter needed in the light path) in excellent condition. Made by Perkins-Elmar in the US in the mid-1970s.

I've attached a quick-and-dirty phone picture of it mounted on my E30. Yep, that's a 600mm telephoto! :)

Attached Files:

11. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The biggest telephoto I have is an Oly 50-200mm which I used for my first 4/3 camera. It needs an adapter to work on micro 4/3. It is F 2.8-3.5. The nice thing is that it auto focuses. It can be had used for $ 500-600. It is slow focusing,if one must have this but gives very sharp pictures even hand held without IS.
  12. hithere

hithere New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2012
    I considered a catadrioptic lens, but I wasn't sure if I wanted the donut bokeh. Amazing focal length for size though! :smile:

What compact (handholdable, the IS will help with this) telephoto primes are there in the 200-400mm range? (400 - 800mm 35mm equivalent)