1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 vs. mZD 45mm 1.8

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, Oct 21, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I loved the rendering on my SuperTak, and I missed it after selling it, so I re-bought one, and have some comparison shots vs. the mZD 45mm 1.8.

Generally: I was surprised the SuperTak did so well in the center. The corners on the SuperTak, though, are much weaker until you get into smaller apertures, where they even out (starting at 4.0). The SuperTak is far warmer (more yellow, really) than the mZD because of the glass.

In the "wide open" shots, I shot the SuperTak at 2.0 (because 1.4 is really a "soft" look) vs. 1.8 for the mZD. In the 2.8 shots, they were both at 2.8.

Most of the differences were gone by 4.0 (no samples shown).

Of course, the mZD has AF and is smaller a lighter, and costs about $300 more.

Nothing earthshaking here, but I thought I'd just share the comparison shots.

Context Shot:

Center Crop "Wide Open"

Upper Left "Wide Open"

Upper Right "Wide Open"

Center Crop 2.8
    [​IMG]

Upper Left 2.8

Upper Right 2.8

• Like Like x 4
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 @ iso 200 results in a shutter of 1/2500 while the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 @ iso 200 results in a shutter of 1/4000.

Super Takumar 50mm f/2.8 @ iso 200 results in a shutter of 1/1250 while the Olympus 45mm f/2.8 @ iso 200 results in a shutter of 1/1600.

The SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 would be an interesting comparison too.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Exposure should be independent of the lens. f/2.8, ISO 200 should give the same shutter speed regardless of lens used, but the camera metered the scene differently, probably because of what was on the edges of the frame.

Thanks for sharing.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually.. I was kinda hinting that the Super Takumar might be in need of a CLA. I've dealt with a lot of used equipment in my years... exposure differences and veil flare starting at the corner of the frames usually is an indication. Its not uncommon for a lens of that age... assuming it hasn't been CLAd recently.