1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Super-size printing question

Discussion in 'Printing' started by BarefootPilgrim, Aug 11, 2012.

1. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Has anyone printed really large prints (16" x 20" or larger) from a m4/3 camera? If so, what size print, which camera did you use and who printed it for you? :confused:

I have a series of images (from my E-PL2 and OM-D) I'd like to print at very large sizes -- at least 16" x 20" (or perhaps as large as 24" x 36" if I can find a printer who can do that) -- and would appreciate any insight or input from folks who have done something similar.

TIA for any help you can offer!
    :cool:

2. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Yes I have printed 20x30 with the E-M5 and 18x 24 with the E-P1
    Try 1stcameras they are excellent and inexpensive

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I print large all the time--I am my own printer. Make sure your image is tagged with an ICC profile--that can be automatic, but it can also be lost.

I am not sure 16x20 is really large, but even a 24x36 inch print is easy. I would also discuss the paper and the surface--photo glossy can be mirror-like especially with images with lots of blacks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I used adoramapix to print a 16x20 photo of my kids. Taken with an E-PM1 + 14mm Panasonic, ISO 400. I upsampled it to 300 dpi resolution in LR first, and also used LR4's soft proofing to get the colors right (after downloading the color profile for the paper from adaroama). It turned out GREAT! People absolutely can't believe the photo was taken with such a tiny camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Adoramapix has a sale right now that ends the 14ths...16x20's for 5 bucks each! I got a few done in the past with my e-pl1 and highly recommend adoramapix, even the every day prices are the best in relation to the quality you get. Ive done 24x36 prints with great results too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I did some that size with mpix and I was pleased with the results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks for the heads-up, Ryan. I remember now that I got an email alert from Adorama about that sale, but completely forgot about it since I wasn't planning on these blow-ups at the time it arrived. Maybe I'll try 'em out with a file or two.
    :cool:

8. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks, Kristi! I've used Mpix in the past, and while I was happy with the results, they didn't leave me dancing. Their largest print size (24x36) is right on the short edge of what I plan to do. But I'd really like to make some 30x40s for a gallery display. At $170 a shot :eek: for a 24x36 I'm being very careful who I send my stuff to, hence the query in my OP.

Thanks all for your input so far!

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    These guys do 30 x 40 inch prints at just $21.90 each (minimum 2, free shipping for orders over $100): http://www.elcocolor.net/index.php/Poster-Special.html

I used their services to make 20 x 30 inch luster (matte) prints from 6MP Canon 300D files and let them handle the uprezzing necessary to print at their native 254 dpi. I thought the results were terrific, but it's possible I have low standards.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I just ran a 13x19 of an image I took on the GH2. We have an Epson 3880 Pro in the office which I used, though this is the first time I've asked it for a large photo print. I'm still having trouble with the color balancing on this printer, and I found that I needed to tweak the white balance to get closer to screen colors. We're thinking of picking up a print calibration tool.

Naturally the pro houses all have stuff like colors nailed down. The main thing is to give the printer as much data as possible to work with. No JPEGs. Send a 16-bit AdobeRGB TIFF if at all possible. It also helps to know exactly what your desired paper is and how it looks; I love the semi-gloss stuff, but a lot of the low end people send full gloss which I hate.

• Like Like x 2
  11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I have good framed prints, 16x20 from the G1. Jpegs and some cropping on them as well so would say quite a bit bigger is possible.

For UK folk, can recommend Photobox for decent quality and nice selection of sizes and paper.

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

24x36 Costco prints of this hanging in the office. Wish I knew more about color and printer profiles before I did ... cheap enough to try again. Some of the blacks came out too black. Can't really tell when standing <7' away.

PA288111b.

They've since cut down the palm tree so now I'm really glad I decided it was important to frame it like I did. I hated that tree.