Super Moon coming on Monday

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Thanks for the heads up -it looks like it's rising for me at sunset, so that's an ideal time to photograph it if I can get away from work...

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Glad I did a search as I was about to post this info also. A how-to article below. I don't agree with all points though. I've done a lot of moon photos and with a full, bright moon, I find hand holding not an issue or bracing yourself as you get pretty fast shutter speeds even at lowest ISO but wide aperture. Now if you are using a 1000mm lens it can be problematic. :)

How to Photograph the Supermoon

Five Tips For Photographing The Supermoon

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I've done a lot of moon photos and with a full, bright moon, I find hand holding not an issue or bracing yourself as you get pretty fast shutter speeds even at lowest ISO but wide aperture. Now if you are using a 1000mm lens it can be problematic. :)
Hand holding is not too bad with a 900mm equivalent.
This one was handheld braced in a doorway with a 600mm f8 mirror on MFT with a focal reducer making an unstabilised 900mm f5.6.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Supermoon pre-eclipse by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
It's not a sharp as many shots I've seen but not bad :)
Without the focal reducer as a 1200mm f8 hand holding seems to be out of the question, but maybe I just need to brace myself a bit more.

I really don't get all the fuss over 'supermoons' the best shots of the moon are taken when the light is grazing the surface giving more definition to the craters...

Exposure isn't a problem either. You can spot meter from the moon, or simply use the 'Looney 8' rule. (At f/8 shutter speed is 1/iso) The lit part of the moon is in full sunshine and it's distance doesn't vary enough to make any difference to exposures.

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I have 2 lens choices for the shoot. A Panasonic 100-300mm (600mm long end equiv fov) and my 40-150mm +TC14 (420mm equiv). Not sure which to take. The Pany gives me a much longer reach but the IQ is not that great, nothing like the Oly. Of course I could take both but hate changing large lenses out in a rice field in the dark. :)

What do other's think?

Edit: Just looked at my moon shots on Flickr and the Pany on my GH2 did quite well in definition. Much lighter so will probably go with it but put the Oly in the car just in case. The new 300mm Pro with TC would be quite nice now.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Please explain this "moon" concept to me. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have periods of the day with light clouds, dark clouds, and rain throughout. I am not familiar with this "moon" or this other thing that people refer to as "sun". Will either of these do anything to the moss growing on my back? :biggrin:

I'm not happy with our weather forecast. I would love to photograph this super moon, but am not counting on it given the record rains we have had this past month.

Good luck,

--Ken

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...I really don't get all the fuss over 'supermoons' the best shots of the moon are taken when the light is grazing the surface giving more definition to the craters...
Quite true. One of the best moon shots I've seen was a composite of several images (2, I believe, though there may have been 3) where each was taken with the moon in a different phase. The results was very clearly delineated craters with an overall lighting effect similar to studio "butterfly" lighting.

Please explain this "moon" concept to me. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have periods of the day with light clouds, dark clouds, and rain throughout. I am not familiar with this "moon" or this other thing that people refer to as "sun". Will either of these do anything to the moss growing on my back? :biggrin:

I'm not happy with our weather forecast. I would love to photograph this super moon, but am not counting on it given the record rains we have had this past month.

Good luck,

--Ken
You could send some to the southeast. We are dry as a bone and burning up and blowing away.

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
Weather didn't cooperate on Monday. I did get a few on Tuesday using a couple of lenses, and a 2x multiplier. They are still in the camera and not on my iPad yet. Not sure if I got anything of note.

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Eh, for what it's worth, here is one. I used a 300mm adapted lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom