1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Super Control Panel on All Modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G.Sal, Dec 11, 2011.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Was tinkering the custom menu option last night and saw that you can use the Super Control Panel on the Art and Scene modes as an option.

But the problem was I could not seem to activate the SCP when I'm about to take pictures. Spent the whole night figuring it out. And I'm super happy I did! :rofl:

Once activated the SCP on the menu, on the Art/Scn modes:
    1. Select the art filter or scene mode of your choice.
    2. On the live view mode, press Start/OK button and this will bring you back on the selection of art filter or scene mode.
    3. Finally, press INFO and voila. :2thumbs:

If you have the Live Control and Super Control Panel activate the same time, you can use the INFO button to toggle between the 2 controls.

Not sure if this was very helpful but SCP opens a lot of options such ISO, WB, etc. depends on the mode you are in.

SCP isn't fun to use on iAuto and SCN as the options you can customize are very limited. But I'm excited to use it on the Art filters.

I apologize if I sound like an ignorant fool but I've been with my camera for more than a year and it's just now that I was able to discover this. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I love the SCP, but did not know about the Info Button toggle. Thanks.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another important application for this feature is with the RC menu. If you turn RC Mode on, then when you hit OK you get the RC menu, of course. To get back to the SCP or Live Control menu, hit INFO and it'll cycle you back.

It took me a while to learn this, but it is one of the most important, less-than-obvious functions of the PEN cameras. I'm glad you're bringing it up, because it needs to be mentioned often for new people to learn, lol. I don't know how I would have figured it out if not for this forum.

4. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Test shots using SCP:

PC127489.

PC127469.

• Like Like x 1
  5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm interested in the SCP menu. How do we turn it on? And what exactly does it do?

Thanks.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    First you need to turn on the Sprockets menu display. Then go to Sprockets => Display => Control Settings. Then for each mode turn off Live Control and turn on SCP.

Another thing I notice on a lot of the new cameras is that they now lock the turn dial by default so it does nothing. Don't ask me why it would default to this, but you might also want to turn it back on by going to Sprockets => Button/Dial => █×Lock => Off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks a lot Ned.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problem. :)

9. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    What does SCP do by the way?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Live Control is a new menu system developed for Olympus point-and-shoots and was implemented into the first Olympus PENs (bad idea, if you ask me). This is the menu system where you scroll down through all your options. The Super Control Panel is the old menu system used in the E-System DSLRs, which shows all your options in a convenient grid, all together on one screen.

After you've turned off Live Control and turned on SCP, when you hit OK to change your settings, you'll see the new menu layout. It's 100x more efficient than the Live Control. ;) Well okay, I may be exaggerating.. 50x more efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know you can just go into Art mode in whatever PSAM mode using the SCP. So you don't even have to go to the Art Mode selection. I'm a dramatic tone junkie and always snap a shot in dramatic and then switch back to my default color setting. Way easier! :wink:

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and this is exactly where Art Filters should be left, too! It doesn't even need a Mode Dial shortcut, if you ask me... but you know consumers like to see those graphical previews.

You can even customize your Picture Mode selections now, and turn on or off any picture mode or art filter you want or don't want... including a Custom mode.

13. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Another advantage to this: when using the control dial to go into the Art filters, you can't change settings such as the f-stop, only the EV comp. If you use the SCP panel to change to the Art filter, you can then change settings.

14. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    SCP sprockets

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You won't see this menu until you first go to the wrench menu and turn on "Menu Display". This will give you two new menu items you can turn on, the sprockets menu and the bluetooth menu.

Do not ask me why the sprockets menu (which contains a huge bulk of the important camera settings) is turned off in the first place! Nor why the turn dial is now locked by default, either... :rolleyes:

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

SCP setting with Pics

Hi Ned
    I think this set of pics may help people out for setting up SCP. Just click on the Menu and then follow the pics in sequence from 1-8.
    This is on EPL3 and it should be same on every PEN.Sorry these are taken with my iPhone
    Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love it.It gives u so quick access to everything
    Cheers

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Does anyone know if this is possible on the E-PL1? I don't see it as an option in the SCP.

19. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Ned,
    I do not see anything resembling a sprockets or bluetooth menu, and following Bhupinder's images, I still don't have the SCP. Pressing the ok button several times, in P S A M just brings me back to the live control menu. Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thank you
    kanasgowatom