Super Control Panel, at last!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kanasgowatom, Dec 15, 2011.

1. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    First I would like to thank everyone here that helped guide me to SCP utopia. I also went to Olympus Live Chat, and I am quite impressed with the operation. So now I have an idea and Olympus e-mailed me the entire conversation. Thanks again to the MU4/3er's for their input!

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I love SCP also! It took me about a month, though, to figure out how to enable it when I bought my first Oly.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It took me to get E-PM1 to start using it (you can't really operate this camera w/o it) and now I'm loving it on E-PL2 too.
  4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    I first discovered it in 2008 on the E-420 and have use it on every Oly in my collection since then.

At the time I was blown away that anything on a digital camera could be so simple yet so all-encompassing at the same time. Couldn't live without it now.
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Only gripe I have is that it's so hard to find, buried several layers deep in the menus and submenus. But at least you only have to activate it once!

Maybe it should be on by default, at least in the E-P3...?
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    It's great once you figure it out! :smile:
    Olympus should really promote this feature more & document it better....
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It BLOWS MY MIND why this isn't the default. Or why there isn't a very simple setting to change it. I can't count the number of people here and on DPR that have said "I hate my Pen" then someone told them about the SCP and then they go "I love my Pen" (at least wrt controls).

Oly doesn't even seem to know what they have here!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is anyone going to reveal the secrets of the SCP? It's just a screen, right? I saw it once and thought I could navigate it with the touchscreen. When I got no response, I just ignored it. What is the Big Deal? If it's just a display screen, I know all that stuff.....if it's navigational, tell me how to navigate it?

It's like a secret club....someone de-mystify it for us all un-enlightened ones......please.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Four way controller and the OK button. But all your settings are right there.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    It took me 3 generations of PEN to finally figure out how to switch it on, and now I cannot do without it!
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was using the Four-Thirds E-System DSLRs before the PEN, so I was very familiar with the SCP. :) I disliked the Live Control menu first introduced with the PENs, but was very happy when I found SCP was still there.
  12. jc_rex

jc_rex Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Menifee, CA
    I found out about the SCP on my E-PL1 for dummies book. :D I agree that it's hard to find and turn on when you haven't turned it on before yet... had a hard time finding it the first time even with a book guiding me!
  13. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    I not sure about the US. Here in Singapore if you buy a PEN you are eligible for a free 2 hour training session. Very useful, and you can even try out accessories, like lenses.
  14. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    I love the SCP too. I've been using it with the four way controller and OK button on the E-P3 (then change the selected setting). Recently discovered that once you bring up the SCP and navigate to the relevant field, you can change settings using the thumb dial without having to exit the SCP. This is incredibly cool, since you can change multiple setting very quickly. Once you're done, a half-click with the shutter button and the SCP disappears. I like it even more now (if that's possible).
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke simple. I can't think of a reason that I'll need to dive into the deep menus anymore. Thanks for the info!