Sunsets at Oceanside Pier

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dave92029, Mar 10, 2012.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    One is over exposed, but I still like it. Do You :confused:

• Like Like x 7
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The intense orange backdrop in the rightmost image is how I see the sunset against that pier each and every time that I have ever gone there regardless of the time of the day.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great sunsets. These are "frame it on my wall" worthy. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I like #2 a lot. A couple of comments:

(1) #1: The main thing I see is that the horizon isn't horizontal!
    (2) #2: Really like the composition. Has the picture been cooked a lot in PP? It looks like you might have overdone it a little bit. (Or maybe that's just what it looked like . . . )

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    The Horizon is not straight on either of them, but apart from that, I really like the second one. :)

6. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Horizon is straight per LR3

#2 received very little PP...primarily adding some fill lighting to the rocks and the surf to the left of the pier. The colors are natural.

I use Lightroom 3 for PP and the Grid in LR3 indicates that the horizon on both images are straight.

In #1 the sun and the reflection off the water which is not in the center of the frame, does give the impression that the horizon is not straight when it is.:redface:

In #2 if you look at the pier supports they line up with the Horizon. The Pier which appears to be rising to the left gives the impression that the right side is lower than it is. The horizon is straight. :eek:

7. Very nice sunset colours. The silhouettes in #2 look great. I tend to agree with the others on the horizons, and I think I can also see a hint of E-PL2 red dots around the sun in #1. The second image would be my favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    New version of #2

Thanks for the comments about the Horizon. I went back and adjusted the horizon on #2.

I think it is straight now...:biggrin:

Thank you

9. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Brings back memories, I’m jealous. I go out there for vacation when ever I can. I love that they were taken with the kit lens!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    That's odd--I just downloaded #1 and checked with LR, and the horizon is definitely not horizontal. I see what you're saying about the optical illusion effect, but in this case it's definitely not horizontal (red line IS horizontal):

SM3172-hor.

11. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Thanks ---I updated that one also

Thanks...I updated #1 which is now #2 :confused: :bravo-009:

Both images should have a flat horizon. Thanks for all your comments.