Sunset Timelapse over the Pacific

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by MAubrey, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    So technically its not quite the Pacific, at least not open ocean. This is Howe Sound, north of Vancouver.

I posted photos of my August backpacking trip a while back. I took around 350 stills, not including the just under 2000 frames of the sunset where we camped the first night. Yesterday, I finally got around to editing and compiling the images into a timelapse.

There are two sets of photos. I changed the exposure half way through in order to deal with the lower light. Because this was a backpacking trip, I didn't have the weight or space for a tripod in my bag. My trekking poll monopod didn't cut it for this, so the camera sat on a rock. You can see it shift in the first half. I'll need to figure out how to deal with that better in the future.

Anyway, these were shot raw with the OM-D and Oly 9-18mm and polarizer, then edited in Lightroom 4 using the synchronize feature (which is a really awesome feature). Feedback, suggestions, critiques and questions all quite welcome.

<iframe src="" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="">Howe Sound Sunset</a> from <a href="">Mike Aubrey</a> on <a href="">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    • Like Like x 12
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I think you did a great job, Mike !

C U
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Very nice. What intervals were you shooting? Any special equipment?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey

This was shot months ago back in August, but looking at the timestamps it looks like they were at four second intervals.

I just have a cheap remote shutter and set the camera on Anti-Shock with a four second intervals (apparently) in continuous shooting. I also used a polarizer and a 3 stop ND filter. The combination vignettes horribly at 9mm, but with the 16:9 ratio, that didn't matter.
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Thats awesome...great vid.
  6. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Don Lawrence
  7. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    still looks great even with the slight change, with the camera. I know what you mean about needing to travel light when backpacking, I got a small ultra pod which I can also atach to a pole. meant for compact camera but can get away using with my GF1 as well. If a bit more space then I do have a small travel tripod which has more hight and more stable.

Thanks for sharing, I love watching timelapse and had a go at but want to do a lot more.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Wow, very nicely done!:2thumbs:
  9. davidleetong

davidleetong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    David from
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Very nicely done! Love watching the cloud shifts in time lapse photography!

I guess sunset is particularly challenging to shoot because of the change in light condition. I don't know anything about producing time lapse photography, but I wonder if one can use exposure compensation in PP to make up for the vast change in lighting condition, so when shooting the scene, the camera is initially set to over-expose. The lighting condition will eventually turn to under-expose. In LR4, one can then bring down the exposure in the initial shots, and bring up that of the darker shots. Sounds like a lot of work and difficult to get consistency in the shift though!
  11. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Very relaxing, thanks!