1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sunset Time-Lapse (E-PL3)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Mellingerm, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought the E-PL3 the other week (upgraded from E-PL1) and was excited to try it with a remote, since the E-PL1 couldn't work with remotes unless you rigged it with something.

So with the excitement of trying out the remote, I decided to do a time-lapse video. This is my first attempt at a time-lapse and overall I was quite please with the performance and results of the E-PL3.

I set up the remote to take a photo every 10 seconds, for a total of around 400 shots. My battery didn't die over this time :) I was surprised by that as the temperature outside was hovering at or near freezing as well.

I had the camera set to aperature priority so that it would automatically set the shutter speed. Because it was sunset, I had my aperature set around 3.8 or 4, I can't remember exactly. I also manually focused the camera ahead of time, because I did want it to struggle at all with auto-focusing as it got darker. Although, the auto-focus on the E-PL3 is a whole lot faster than the E-PL1. I've been impressed.

Finally, I wish I had shot for about 30 minutes longer. The video ends just as lights are starting to turn on in buildings. I wish I would've shot enough photos so that I could've captured it going completely dark and all the buildings lights going on.

All in all though, quite impressed with how it handled. Please give me any constructive comments or criticisms you may have.

Thanks.....and here it is: [ame=http://vimeo.com/33591849]Daejeon Sunset Timelapse on Vimeo[/ame]

Michael Mellinger

• Like Like x 3
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Well done.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nicely done! :smile:

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice, I'm also learning time lapse. I think this video would benefit from using ND grad filter

5. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

I'm fairly new to filters. The graduated ND filter would've helped because it would've allowed the darker half of the image to be shown in more detail, correct?

Is the Graduated ND filter the one that is 50/50...one half is darker than the other? Thus, I would've placed the line splitting the two on the horizon?

I'll definitely have to look into that.