1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sunset in the Paddock

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by hazwing, Jan 7, 2014.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Had a really amazing sun set the other day. I was driving home... saw the sunset shining on the grass and the cows in the paddock. Surprisingly this paddock is not far from residential/urban environment. I just had to stop to snap a few shots.

c&c welcome. I'm not sure which composition I prefer out of 2 or 3.

P1050376.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

P1050386.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

P1050401.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

I've got to buy/figure out photoshop sometime and clone out those powerlines.

• Like Like x 6
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice scene. I like #1 the best - stronger subject. #2 might work better framed vertically/square, with the cow and tree (which are in interesting alignment) towards the middle on the left, currently the right hand side feels a bit too empty. #3 might work better with the cow cropped out - it competes with the tree for attention.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    # 2 sticks out for me, simply because the colors/contrast are more eye catching. #3 is prob the best technically as far as composition goes.

4. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    I love the FIRST photo. Thanks for sharing

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I've tried recropping #2 to a square format. It gives a different feel, but I'm not sure I prefer one more than the other...

Also, I can't help but feel that some of my shots look a bit overprocessed. However, I find just pushing up the shadows and pulling highlights in sunset/sunrise shots, tends to create a HDR-like appearance. In this picture, I removed all vibrance/saturation/clarity/contrast adjustments. Only adjusted highlights (-70) and shadows (+50)

P1050386.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr