Sunrise photography tips

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Drummer_gal, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Drummer_gal

Drummer_gal Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot. :)

If anyone has any tips on photographing sunrise, please share... anything from camera settings to equipment, lens, filters, etc. Or maybe just tell me that I'm crazy trying to do this in Melbourne in winter :rofl:

I currently own an OMD & GX1. In terms of lenses, I have a Panny 14mm, 20mm, 45-175mm, Oly 45mm and 12-50mm.

Thanks heaps! :)

2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Tripod is a good start, manual setting but depends on conditions

I find if there's a bit of cloud it gives more interest to the sky

Best to get out slightly before the sun rises, water in the foreground can add some nice reflections-still water so cold frosty nights are best

Can use a graduated filter to try & maintain foreground detail (as it will be dark, the filter can darken the sky & let you expose longer)

Sunrise over mountains can be good. So maybe a tip to dandenongs in the morning, morn penis also has some nice spots

• Like Like x 1
  3. You will be shooting directly into a light source so be aware of anything that might create flare such as UV filters. Also try shooting your various lenses into a light source to determine if any of them are particularly susceptible to flare on their own.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

? :rofl:

5. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    This will also be a great opportunity to give HDR a shot. If you have a remote shutter release of some kind, I will be handy on the tripod. The clouds usually have their best color before the sun actually rises, though that's not always the case. Don't forget to turn around and look at the scene behind you too, sometimes it can be surprising. Bring coffee (or whatever your caffeine delivery favorite is) with you.

Any focal length can work, depending on what the foreground and sky look like. Wide angle is not always best. I actually take most of my sunrise shots with a longer lens. Foggy morning sunrises are awesome.

Good luck, have fun!

6. Iconindustries

Something I often do is adjust the ev (exposure compensation) down a bit. Helps to make the image darker and therefore enhances the bright colours of the sunset.

Here's one I took yesterday.The sky was infused with smoke kin the afternoon. It was so thick at one time I could see it in the shed. I took this photo about 5.15 as the smoke was clearing in the west.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7794148154/" title="P9140139 (1) by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 7794148154_5f619ef6d3_c. "800" height="600" alt="P9140139 (1)"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thank you so much dannat, Luckypenguin, Tincam & Iconindustries .. Will keep all that I mind. Really appreciate all your input!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena

Icon, I laughed at your post for a good 5 minutes before moving on to the next post. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Wow, love this!!

10. Iconindustries

So did I.. and then I thought maybe this is a real place I haven't heard about before. I googled it and yeah.. it's not a scenic destination.. I got out of that place of the internet very fast...

• Like Like x 1
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Manually select a white balance so the camera doesn't try to neutralize the color you're seeing.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can only do this in the morning.

You really only need a tripod when the sun is still far below the horizon. I can do a lot of sunset photos handheld.

Shoot RAW. Then set the WB when you open the file at home. AWB is really going to mess with the color. You can use a preset daylight setting so you can check images on your camera, but even that has some downsides if you want "accurate" color.

If this is just the sky, then go somewhere where you can get an unobstructed view of the horizon, meaning no erections in your way, either natural or man-made. Ether that, plan for a good foreground feature like water. Maps can help you figure this out and some will show you where the sun will break the horizon during a particular time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    good tips already. for metering, I would normally set it to center-weight. put the center of the frame right on the horizon where the sun is out of the way

here's a sample that i took ... not the best by any stretch but just to highlight the technique. and sorry, this is from a DSLR

3701093414_0e17193bac_z.
    Sunrise @ DR by rpamparo, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    :rofl: :rofl: you might want to google "mornington peninsula" instead!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks heaps Fredlong, Hikari & rhoydopt for your input!!! Appreciate it!!

16. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Love this!!! :):):)

17. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Love the shot! And thanks once again for your input!

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Shooting sunrises in the winter is great, you don't have to get out near as early :)

I gather you probably won't have much opportunities for frost, but I do see that you have some sub-zero over-night temps next week. Frost looks great on just about everything in the morning, but tall grasses are an especially good subject.

I would suggest being out there a good 30-45 minutes before sunrise, as any cloud near the horizon will be fiery red before the sun rises. If it's a clear morning, you can also get a nice alpine-glow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thank you!