Sunflare in LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Vicky, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    I'm looking for a certain kind of 'glow' to put on my pictures in LR.

I've already found a few presets, but none of them are really giving me what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if I can post a picture of someone else here
    but this is the link to some examples:
    https://flic.kr/p/mz3Seu

https://flic.kr/p/mwzCpn

Can someone help me achieve this? Or maybe my pictures are not suitable for this 'warmth'
    My photo stream:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/100300341@N04/

2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Your own colours look fairly neutral, but nonetheless quite attractive to me. Other than waiting for the golden hour, the easiest way to create warmth is to move the color temperature slider to the right until you get roughly what you want. The first example you showed was back-lit, which heavily influenced the feel of the shot. Filters also can have a major effect and I found Tiffen Dfx the best software for those purposes. One of my 'coldest' Pentax manual focus lenses has a skylight filter permanently mounted, which makes every image appear warmer.

Going back to Lightroom, split toning can produce attractive results and sometimes warming the shadows, with something like 43 hue and 17 saturation produces a nice golden effect that can easily be saved as a preset. Negative clarity applied with a graduated filter or brush tool might work too. Best of luck and keep showing off your dogs!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Thank you for the tip! Never used the split toning before, so looked up some tutorials on the internet and again; learned a lot!

Would love to here your feedback on the following shots; first one with minimal editing, second one with a modest attempt to create a 'sun flare feeling'. What do you think? Too much?

13517312364_da62bf6486_c.
    Used a preset to create a light source (right upper courner)
    Used the split toning to make shadows more warm
    Brought the green's hue down... a lot!

4. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Sorry for tardy reply Vicky. To be honest, I thought your original was fine the way it was! I'm no portrait photographer, but for me the extra light in the corner draws attention away from the face, whereas the green background colour was a nicely subtle contrast. To change the green, or any other colour, it's often the case that adjusting the luminance setting will have the desired effect. I can see what you're trying to do though. Regarding Lightroom, Julieanne Kost's videos on YouTube are hard to beat although there are many others, as I'm sure you've already found. I wish I had such wonderful subjects as yours, but I'm stuck with beaches and boats mainly. With those however, I've found that Lightroom alone usually covers my post processing requirements.

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Vicky your shots look pretty good as is with a nice neutral tone. Like it was mentioned before if you want that warmer sort of back-lit like feel to your images you can simply either bring up the temperature of your image, play with exposure and colours even. Of course split toning/cross processing will work too.

For what its worth I did a quick edit of one of your shots in the split toning module in LR.... here is the edit and you can compare it to your original in flickr and then a screen shot of what I did (although it introduced a little banding but it was a quick edit). Hope this helps.

10495450344_0863b1fa16_o_zps0c6054d4.

ScreenShot2014-03-30at90519PM_zps4afedd4f.