Review Sundisc light modifier review

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
@junkyardsparkle
I forgot to mention that the speedlight head was rotated 90 degrees, so it was actually side on to the front and back. This position stops the head from falling forward if you have one of those speedlights without a half way decent lock on the head elevation.
But, the speedlight would obviously fill the 'box much better if it was standard orientation within the 'box, as it would fill better to either side. The "V" of light would be less pronounced.

So it would be down to your highest priority at the time. 'box fill, or stability.

Of course, neither points are even valid if you use the Godox bracket, because the bracket means the light is oriented for the best fill, and is also further back in the aperture. It would also mean a much more stable 'box too.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
I forgot to mention that the speedlight head was rotated 90 degrees, so it was actually side on to the front and back. This position stops the head from falling forward if you have one of those speedlights without a half way decent lock on the head elevation.
But, the speedlight would obviously fill the 'box much better if it was standard orientation within the 'box, as it would fill better to either side. The "V" of light would be less pronounced.
Hmmm... any reason that rotating the flash a full 180 rather than 90 wouldn't give the best of both worlds for this? I would probably be hacking some kind of baffle/reflector to insert with the flash, in order to tame the hotspot closest to the head and bounce that intense light towards the back reflector rather than directly towards the diffuser. I did some experimenting with DIY versions of this style of softbox a while back, and found that helped quite a bit. Non of my lash-ups were something I could throw in a backpack, though; this one appeals to me in that regard. Really appreciate the additional information, thanks a heap!

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
Hmmm... any reason that rotating the flash a full 180 rather than 90 wouldn't give the best of both worlds for this? I would probably be hacking some kind of baffle/reflector to insert with the flash, in order to tame the hotspot closest to the head and bounce that intense light towards the back reflector rather than directly towards the diffuser. I did some experimenting with DIY versions of this style of softbox a while back, and found that helped quite a bit. Non of my lash-ups were something I could throw in a backpack, though; this one appeals to me in that regard. Really appreciate the additional information, thanks a heap!
Doing a full 180 would help, if the speedlight does actually have an upright stop to the elevation. Some of mine go past the vertical point. I can appreciate the hotspot is particularly important to your intended use, but less so for me and the manner I use it.

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
Buggerin' 'ell

I'm a ruddy arse!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, 24mm at 1/64th and 1/128th

Meh!

:blush:
Thanks for the write-up, Michael. The site you linked to has the price in kroner, but this one on Amazon looks like it might be the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/FOTOCREAT-Sundisc-Tow-sides-Diffuser-Speedlite/dp/B07596F9C4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523227063&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=sundisc+softbox&psc=1 Is there any way you can tell whether it looks identical to your units?

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Thanks for the write-up, Michael. The site you linked to has the price in kroner, but this one on Amazon looks like it might be the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/FOTOCREAT-Sundisc-Tow-sides-Diffuser-Speedlite/dp/B07596F9C4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523227063&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=sundisc+softbox&psc=1 Is there any way you can tell whether it looks identical to your units?
Pretty sure those are knock-offs... "Shaoxing Tulai photography equipment co.,ltd" sounds a little different from "Approach Studios", in any language. If you try 'em, be sure and do a write-up. :D

Convert the price to your currency here.

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
That's what I suspected, but they have the same name for the product, so I wondered.
Welllll... you'll also notice that they spam a bunch of other trademarks into the listing title: "Nikon/Canon/Sony/YongNuo/Bower/Metz/ Nissin/Pentax/Sigma/Vivitar/Sunpack Speedlite". This is in order to get people to land there via searches... which I'm guessing you did. It's a reportable offense on ebay, I have no idea how Amazon operates in that regard.

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
That's what I suspected, but they have the same name for the product, so I wondered.
I can't get to the link, as Amazon dumps me straight to the UK site, which doesn't list it.
But I'd have to agree with @junkyardsparkle regarding the likelihood they are knockoffs.

1 Sundisc is 680Kr or $81
2 Sundiscs are 1,200Kr or $143
4 Sundiscs are 2,200Kr or $262

Real Name
Ian
It will be, it is exactly what I am looking for to photograph gators. Will it work with the Godox AD200’s?
You should have no problem using AD200's with this Ronnie, since the AD200 head can fit in an S-bracket, which then fits inside the diffuser like Michael had shown.

The only downside is that you'd want to use the fresnel head rather than the bare bulb to eliminate the light hot-spot of the bulb, and the fresnel head cuts back on the light power a wee bit. Still, it shouldn't be an issue since you could shoot with HSS on the AD200.

This, with the AD200, would make for a nice, compact light set-up.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
You should have no problem using AD200's with this Ronnie, since the AD200 head can fit in an S-bracket, which then fits inside the diffuser like Michael had shown.

The only downside is that you'd want to use the fresnel head rather than the bare bulb to eliminate the light hot-spot of the bulb, and the fresnel head cuts back on the light power a wee bit. Still, it shouldn't be an issue since you could shoot with HSS on the AD200.

This, with the AD200, would make for a nice, compact light set-up.
thanks and that is what I am hoping for.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I ordered the Amazon $39.99 knock-off. If you look at the gold fabric on the OP's images and the Amazon one, they are different. The Amazon one has an alternating zebra silver and gold stripe while the OP's is solid gold.

I had a solid gold reflector and it was too warm for my taste. I ordered one of the lighter colored gold ones (Lastolite?) and it had a similar silver and gold pattern and wasn't so warm overall.

I'll try it with the Quantum Trio flashhead with the 1" tube extender for their telescopic reflector and see how it performs over the conventional speedlight. Not that impressed with the Trio overall for the price and the extra 1/2 stop over the Nikon speedlights, but at least it doesn't overheat and go dead for a while until cooling down.

Add:
Amazon Prime delivered it today (Sunday.). It does not have the YKK zippers, but it does have the gold and silver for the "Soft Gold" and not solid gold. Sewing looked good.

Had issues with it outdoors with the wind as it is sort of flimsy on the head. Almost blew over, but I caught it. I couldn't get the Quantum Trio flash to work on the Olympus which I wanted to use its bare bulb on so I gave up and went to the Godox TT685-O instead (The Godox is a lot better build quality than the Quantum Trio that looks like some 1960-70's tech.). Another issue was when I was trying to use the bare bulb with the Nikon, angling the affair downwards caused the bulb to rest on the back fabric and it gets hot where it bulges on the back (e.g. Look at the OP's second portrait photo and the right disc and the back where you can see the strobe head pushing on the back's fabric.).

I'd guess it to eat 1.5 stops worth of light. Fabric density is similar to the OP's with my hand. When I put the gold/silver to the inside it became very tight overall as I needed to roll the fabric over one of the springs to zip it up which also makes it a bit thinner overall with the fabric being rolled over.

Getting it back folded into the bag was an ordeal too with the two springs. Had to watch a Youtube video to make sure I was bending it right as it is pretty tough to bend with the pair of springs.

It seemed to work best at 7-8 feet out as the catch-lights are huge if nearby with anyone wearing glasses. It does show the unevenness of lighting when dialed down a bit, more like a V-shape cone of light. I tried to use the Godox S-bracket but it was too floppy and I wasn't satisfied the way it held onto it so I just used the attached elastic straps.

Last edited:

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't get to the link, as Amazon dumps me straight to the UK site, which doesn't list it.
But I'd have to agree with @junkyardsparkle regarding the likelihood they are knockoffs.

1 Sundisc is 680Kr or $81
2 Sundiscs are 1,200Kr or $143
4 Sundiscs are 2,200Kr or $262
Thanks for the reply, Michael. I think I'll spring for the original.

Top Bottom