1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sunday musing m43 vs. other system

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by uscrx, Oct 6, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Because we can't get enough of this topic. And please take it lighthearted.

It's amusing to see goodbye announcements. You can take this many different ways. Like I will miss you good people whom I really never knew. Or hey losers...I found a better system and I can afford it but can't afford to keep both.

I'm not loyal to any one particular system. But portability, lens selection, and quality AF are important for me. M43 has all 3 and dslr has 2 criteria I require.

Fuji is portable and That's it and Nex lacks lens selection. They don't fit my needs.

If I leave this forum I won't start a goodbye thread. And if I leave M43 system, then there are other portable system with a vast lens selection and superior AF while more cost effective. So I guess I will be here for a while.

I'm going to keep FF Dslr and 1D with limited lenses so never started a goodbye thread on POTN and even if I did, I don't think anyone will care.

It won't bother me a bit to never read another thread on prime vs. Zoom.

That's all I have to say about that for now. ; )

• Like Like x 2
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Good comments in many ways. People's priorities are different, so they buy different systems. You stated your priorities, which clearly lead you to m43.

It depresses me a little when gear addicts challenge other poster's priorities, and therefore their buying decisions.

I enjoy my m43 stuff - for roughly the same reasons as you - but I love taking my X100 out as my only camera as well. Great change of pace.

3. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    As the starter of the current "good buy folks" thread I felt the need to answer your thread...

I felt the need to say an appropriate goodbye as this place has been a refuge for me during the year. I will miss this forum more than my pen. And yes I sold it for funding my fuji,

Sorry for bother any with the farewell thread of mine, but I use to say goodbye to nice people I meet on the way to "the land of the perfect camera"
    Cheers! /Gus

• Like Like x 4
  4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    My post isn't directed at you nor have you left...

• Like Like x 1
  5. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    I read (but rarely post here), even if not owning any m4/3 at the moment. Have had several Panasonic and Olympus bodies, but are currently in the Fujifilm-camp for mirrorless.

However, I kept my Olympus 12mm black just in case I should dive back in...

- iau

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't understand the need for a "goodbye thread" because I don't see why you need to leave. I've sold my :43: kit three times, and (to the disappointment of some, I'm sure) I've never left. I posted less frequently during those "dark periods", but I never saw a reason to disappear.

Just my perspective...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I can understand why people start a "good bye" thread, particularly b/c I belong to several online forums. I've seen forum members post "have you seen them" threads when long standing members suddenly go silent on a board for long periods of time. One of the forums I belong to is populated by a lot of "older" members, so when someone goes silent other members start assuming the worst.

For myself, I've actually recently considered leaving mu4/3 and just going with FF. My FF system is just as compact as my mu4/3 system and size was the reason I went with mu4/3 originally. The only thing keeping me in mu4/3 is my wife, who hates my FF system b/c it's MF only. I still enjoy mu4/3 particularly at the wide and long end, which is where my FF system is the weakest and in very low light conditions. When I travel though I only bring my FF system and my mu4/3 really hasn't gotten any use from me (but my wife still uses it regularly).

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    With m43 gear and an X100, I follow both camps, and keep track of 'Serious Compacts' as well, to be sure I'm not missing something!

But then, retired people have to do something with their time :)

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cameras come and go, photographers last forever! :wink:

10. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Actually, Cameras come and go, photographers come and go but photos are forever. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think the goodbye threads just indicate how good of a forum this one is. People genuinely appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

• Like Like x 1
  12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    GAS is the biggest reason for me to stay away from here actually. My marriage can't stand just one more switch or one more camera. I love gear and this place are crowded with new fresh and juicy information of the new omd and god knows what. And there is also a very rare and friendly atmosphere here, just like the perfect local club at home:)
    Cheers

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I like hearing why people leave a system. Makes me think about my choices. Sometimes I feel good about M4/3, sometimes I lust for Fuji jpegs...

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not if your hard drive goes bad! :biggrin:

15. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm not shooting m43 anymore but I still love it here.

Actually, I'm just keeping my spot until I change back..
    ..again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Uh-oh...what's that supposed to mean? :tongue:

17. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Without Bhupinder, this thread lacks a certain pizazz...

At any rate, good glass lives forever. Cameras and photographers turn to dust.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Just going by past trending.
    Actually quite happy where I'm at right now.