1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SunCalc

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ionian, Oct 18, 2016.

1. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    www.suncalc.net

I came across this the other day and thought I'd share. It's a very useful web-app for plotting the location of sunrises and sunsets. Simply put in the location, the date of your shoot and you can see the direction the sun will rise or set on any given day.

I'd love for it to work in google earth but it's still useful for scouting landscape locations in advance, and working out the best time and potential vantage points for a glorious dawn or dusk shoot.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I use it ALL THE TIME! A great tool for seeing where the sun will rise/set based on a selected location. There's even an iOS app for it on the app store for use on mobile devices.

If you're in to moon shots, there's mooncalc as well.

4. scamartist

scamartist Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    CJ
    This may be useful to you.
    Available as an app or can be used on the desktop, try the link below.

A shot planned with TPE

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    I meant to mention that one as well, another excellent resource

6. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Cheers all, some great suggestions here. There's nothing like visiting a place to plan a shoot but that's not always possible of course. Being on the east side of London means I get great sunsets if I can find a suitable view - all that pollution does have its uses...

Incidentally, I live quite close to Neolithic burial site, and it makes great sunrise photos, not least because our Neolithic ancestors were photography friendly and built their monuments facing east :)(image is not m43 but I've yet to visit the site since I made the switch)

26692967253_70dc5302f8_o.

• Like Like x 5
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have the Sun Cult addon in firefox. Handy for local area but you can change it to any place.