Sun Sniper 'The Compact'

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by k4t, Apr 22, 2011.

1. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm wondering if anyone has seen one of the Sun Sniper 'The Compact' sling straps in person and could comment on its size compared to the standard straps. The website is very vague and the photos are difficult to compare. I'm worried the compact looks too short but that's probably just the way it's adjusted.

I'm tossing up between a 'The Compact' and 'The Pro' for use with a GH2. Any thoughts? The Pro looks like overkill as is but I think it would be good with the shoulder pad taken off. I like the new slimline bearing mounts on both these models compared with the blackrapid straps.

I've also emailed the manufacturers with this question so I'll let you know when I receive their reply.

2. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    I will follow this, i am also interested in the compact.
    I already see the pro version in real life, i think this is overkill for m43.

Grtz,

Jean

3. JGKalm

JGKalm New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2011
    BosStrap may be worth looking at

I recently purchase a BosStrap for my Sony Alpha NEX 5 and love it. This sling is light weight and very comfortable about 1-1/2" wide and it is easily storable because it doesn't need a shoulber pad. Also doesn't cost as much as the sniper. The web site is www.bosstrap.com. I think they are sold on eBay too. :2thumbs:

4. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hadn't seen the BosStrap before. I like the webbing but not so sure about the hardware...

Also, I don't use a tripod in the situations when I would use a sling strap and I think the camera will sit a lot better hanging from the tripod mount.

The more of these slings I look at the more I'm convinced the best solution is to buy the materials and make your own. Providing you have the time and inclination that is.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use a Rapid Strap on my dinosaur FF cameras which uses the tripod connection. The sling works very well keeping the camera stable, out of the way (as opposed to the camera being a front bumper and swinging out when bending over or climbing), while still making the camera assessable and quick easy to grab and bring up for photography. (It successfully moves the weight from the back of the neck to the shoulder/neck ... which is a positive thing for my 1Ds but is insignificant for the featherweight µ4/3.)

I think the sling is a bit of an overkill on µ4/3 unless you are hiking/biking/climbing/et cetera where you need to keep the camera out of the way and hands free. It may be useful for self-conscience street shooters keeping the camera nearly invisible until it is used.

G

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    The Sun Sniper looks like it has a lot of bells and whistles for an otherwise very simple system. The y-strap (Y Strap « The Figital Revolution) being the basic version. I've had great success just buying webbing at a good outdoor/climbing shop, some adjustable nylon backpack repair buckles and an appropriately sized key ring to slide over the webbing (I use the cameras strap lug, but you could do the same with a bolt and ring for the tripod mount). Total cost: about $5. Available in a variety of colors and strap widths!

YMMV... :biggrin:

7. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have found some comparison photos at reddotphoto.

The pricing of these products is definitely ridiculous considering the materials involved. Plus you can even buy the sunsniper bearing from B&H for under $30.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This is one of a multitude of sling-style straps. There is a lot of material on them here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/insanely-long-detailed-review-3-sling-straps-2901/?highlight=rifle+swivel

Regarding your questions:

1) With a G1 and a 14-140mm lens, a relatively heavy m43 setup, my 1" wide strap is very comfortable. No need for padding or a wider strap.

2) I agree that the strap in the photos looks too short. I wear my camera so that it easily falls to hand when my left arm is hanging straight. That way it's easy to grab when I don't want it swinging around and, of course, for a photo. There is a video by the guy who sells the "Y-strap" ([ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZGb3Cv14HQ]YouTube - The Y Strap - An Introduction[/ame]) where he wears his shorter. YMMV.

I made my own. IMHO the best-looking commercial one is the luma, discussed extensively in the above-mentioned thread.

9. RichardR

RichardR New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2010
    Get the Compact.

I originally bought the Pro, but it looked absolutely ridiculous on a GF1. Even with the shoulder pad removed - the attachments to the camera - the sliding hardware and thing you screw into the tripod socket - are just too big. It looked astonishingly ugly too. So I bought the Compact and it's just right for both the GF1 and the G1, so should be fine for the GH2.

The only thing I don't like is that the shoulder strap on the Compact can't be removed. When I bring the camera up to take a shot the whole strap moves, and when I've finished the shoulder pad is in the wrong place. Otherwise it is fine. I use it a lot when I have the Voigtlander 0.95 attached - that's a pretty heavy lens for m4/3 - and have never felt the need for a bigger strap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Great to hear your experience RichardR. It's pretty much spot on the impression I had.

In the end I've decided to order the Compact and give it a try. May not be as good as a home made strap but at the moment I don't have the time to fiddle. Will let you know how it goes.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Clip or clamp something to the strap just behind where the camera ring sits when hanging properly. If the camera pulled the strap up a bit as it slid up, as it slides back down it will hit the clip and automatically shift the strap back into proper position. (Idea stolen from Black Rapid).

I use one of these: Siamese Slik Clip® but a plain steel binder clip would probably work fine.

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can also make your own.... its very simple since the m43 cameras are so light.

13. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    This was the response direct from sunsniper regarding their straps:

Sun-Sniper "The Pro":

Length: 1,56 m
    width: 2,5 cm

width shoulder pad: 6 cm
    Length shoulder pad: 36 cm

Length shock absorber: 10 cm
    width shock absorber:3 cm

weight: 183 gram

The carrying capacity: 10 kilos

Sun-Sniper "Compact":

Length: 1,56 m
    width: 1,5 cm

width shoulder pad: 4,5 cm
    Length shoulder pad: 33 cm

Length shock absorber: 9,5 cm
    width shock absorber: 2,5 cm

weight: 99 gram

The carrying capacity: 5 kilos

I hope I could help you. If you have any questions, i will provide you for help.

Sunny regards
    Tobias Wolters
    SUN-SNIPER GmbH
    Geschäftsführer: Wolfgang-Peter Geller
    Siems Twieten 4
    21376 Garlstorf am Walde

Tel: +49-4172-987 8743 - Fax: +49-4172-987 8768
    Email: tobias@sun-sniper.com - Internet: Home
    Ust.-IdNr. / VAT-ID DE 265 471 986
    Steuernummer Finanzamt Winsen/Luhe 50/200/22205

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    There are a lot of sling straps out there now. I did a pretty exhaustive comparison last summer but there are several more now - I think its an idea that's catching on. For m43 I found a thick strap and shoulder pad to be overkill. They're really easy to make your own with the key piece of hardware being the tripod attachement to the camera (I prefer the tripod attachment a LOT personally). Since these are generally available alone, that's the route I'd go. The one from Sun Sniper looks good because it turns and swivels within the mechanism. My personal favorite is the one from Luma Loop because it has a lanyard system that makes it easy to use one strap with two or more cameras and to switch them on the fly.

But they all work quite well. For my new X-100 I'm using a Black Rapid deal where a small camera case is integrated into the sling strap system that's a PERFEECT size the X-100. So I can carry and protect the camera in the case when not shooting and carry extra batteries, SD cards, and a lens pen in the small pockets. Its not much larger than the camera and is VERY handy. But wouldn't work with an interchangeable lens system unless you stuck to one lens at a time and would only fit a GF1 with the 14mm.

Just find what works for you - they ALL work well.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi K4T!

I am curious as to how you got on with your SNIPER-STRAP compact. Was it good as you expected? I'm thinking of getting one myself :wink:

16. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    • Like Like x 1