Summer vacation to New York

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wife and I took our first somewhat long-distance trip with the truck and camper. Drove up from Delaware to New York, stayed in two state parks up there, and then spent our last night at a distillery in Pennsylvania on our way back home. Took so many photos between the two of us - she with her iPhone 8 and me with my Olympus camera w/4 lenses and my iPhone 11 Pro. For Facebook use and most texting to family, the iPhones were more than adequate. Really hard to argue with how well they balance lights and colors - really don’t see a lot of blow outs and shadows anymore. But it was still fun playing with my camera and the challenge of trying to take a picture that I could be proud of once seeing it on my iPad back at home. Anyways, our new truck performed well, we didn’t drive each other crazy in the confines of a small camper, and we took in tons of new sights for both of us.

First 3 nights were spent camping at Letchworth State Park. Saw 3 beautiful waterfalls and lots of grandeur vistas along with an assortment of local craft breweries. Next 3 nights were spent at Watkins Glen State Park. The waterfalls were smaller and tighter but no less impressive although much tougher photograph without having people in your field of view. Again, hit lots of breweries in the afternoons as we both enjoy that too. Lastly, spent an evening parked behind Eight Oaks Craft Distillery in Pennsylvania as part of the Harvest Host program. Had a very relaxing evening to ourselves and was a fantastic way to wrap up a much needed vacation. Back to the grind tomorrow!

We parked in a small lot on the side of the park trail and walked back and forth until I could see down the slot to the south as the sun was setting. This was our first night at the park. I mean, we had got the park around 5, were set up by 6:30, and then took off to try and catch some views before the sun set. So it was literally one of the first beautiful views we took in after arriving to Letchworth - 42.613489, -78.012163
D3BD02AB-1F61-4CA1-A2CE-0F32B4C89A2A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We parked in the Wolf Creek lot, walked around on the northwest side of the water, and then crossed over the bridge to the southeast side. This rock wall was when coming down the steps to the bridge the crossed back over to the lot where we parked the truck - 42.615004, -78.011811
D9673CD2-BB12-48DB-857E-DDE361B27E44.jpeg

From here I was facing sort of northeast with the morning sun hitting all the cliffs and leaving the valleys in shadow. I thought it made for a cool view as you can see all the hills dropping off left, right, left, right as you looked to the horizon - 42.604771, -78.031346
3BD14CBA-C3BB-4DA8-84F5-A18451698324.jpeg

For this view we stopped at Inspiration Point and then walked back and forth to get a clear shot of both the middle falls as well as the trestle. And if you look very closely, you can spy the upper falls right at the base of the trestle...it's just a small glimpse of them - 42.588103, -78.034741
CC079503-AE63-41AD-A6D1-3AEB24230172.jpeg

This is just a zoomed out variation of the view above. Taken in about the same spot - 42.588103, -78.034741
3F769EE8-6B58-4D3F-99C6-E90F3A4F1049.jpeg

Okay, now we are at Watkins Glen. This is a view leading up to Rainbow Falls from the lower level of the Gorge Trail, facing west, and walking up the path of the water in order to see the drops as we progressed - 42.372670, -76.882170
7CBDE2D8-7185-4EDB-882E-0E2CB4E5D110.jpeg

This is another of the same view but zoomed in a little more. Again, leading up to Rainbow Falls - 42.372670, -76.882170
B94B3F5E-A9A2-464B-A348-A4BA23B9C964.jpeg

This is the actual "Rainbow Falls" and you can walk underneath that ledge of sandstone that has been scalloped out about 4' wide. It's a quick and refreshing splash of cold water after hiking in the heat all morning - 42.372597, -76.882653
DBFF0E38-093D-4892-81F0-5D943ECCA7FC.jpeg

My wife took this shot with my camera while we visited a brewery called Climbing Bines. Did you know that while grapes grow on vines, the hops used in brewing beer grow on "bines"? Apparently the distinction is that vines attached themselves at many locations while growing up the structure that they use to support themselves and bines, instead of attaching themselves, just spiral around the structure (normally a rope tied high up and anchored to the ground) and use that as a form of strength as they grow the hop heads! Fun fact, right? Oh, here's where they are located - 42.659935, -76.941789
B9067A43-273E-45EF-B5E7-484085B09137.jpeg

We visited Wagner Valley to sample some of their beers. They have both hops and grapes grown on the property and are well known for both their wines and beers! While walking with some flights of beer we walked down to see the grapes firsthand and I snapped a couple quick shots - 42.572239, -76.860085
E0E25401-394B-416E-9077-72CFBF42D847.jpeg

Again, another shot of the grapes at Wagner Valley Brewing - 42.572239, -76.860085
BE6F4739-6D11-4BFF-A6E8-1E64C5D4FBAA.jpeg

Lastly, we spent our final night in the camper parked behind a distillery called Eight Oaks Farm Distillery in New Tripoli, Pennsylvania. We arrived around 2pm, set up camp (literally, dropped stabilizers and walked away), and then spent the day sampling the distilleries available cocktails and fare off their food menu. We had family/friends nearby so they stopped and visited for a few hours too. After it got dark, everyone packed up and left, the distillery closed, and we had the whole property to ourselves. My wife and I broke out our propane firepit, sat around it killing a crowler of beer we had picked up at a brewery in New York, and stared at the stars. Soon it was bedtime, up early, and then the last 150 miles back to home. Can't wait to go again! Here's the location of the lot we parked in behind the distillery - 40.691997, -75.747581
E290BEB5-40A8-4EAA-9E53-54A78CD97C76.jpeg

My wife and I standing on the bridge and being photobombed by Cathedral Rock - 42.585903, -78.017854
3647BDC6-D781-48C8-A024-1B1A6D52339B.jpeg

Last edited:

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Lovely and thanks for sharing after your trip. Could you go out on that trestle at Letchworth? We did many decades ago when I was in college but I’m assuming it’s all locked down nowadays because fun is not allowed any more if it’s at all dangerous lol.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lovely and thanks for sharing after your trip. Could you go out on that trestle at Letchworth? We did many decades ago when I was in college but I’m assuming it’s all locked down nowadays because fun is not allowed any more if it’s at all dangerous lol.
While I didn’t actually check, I’m going to venture a guess and say they won’t allow it. It’s still an active trestle and trains come across from time to time.
Wonderful set of shots.
Thanks for sharing what must have been a great experience.
Yes, we really enjoyed our time up in that area. Lots of new sights for us to see.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks, and yes I agree. We both wanted to hit the parks about 3-4 weeks later, but our vacation dates at work wouldn’t allow for it. Plus our current dates allowed us to roll into Labor Day weekend. We returned home on Saturday and still had a full 2-day weekend to turn the camper around for the next weekend out and also try to get my lawn back under control.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For anyone interested in seeing some of these sights from a bird's eye view, I added a little more info to each picture to include some lat/lon info you can past into Google Maps. Thanks for following along!

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular

I grew up 35 minutes from Letchworth but mostly have only been there in winter, snowmobiling. The park roads are utilized and I think some are probably dirt/stone paths in summer.

Watkins Glen is awesome in a different way. Robert Treman and some others are good too. Taughonnak falls are taller than Niagara. Can view from above, drive a couple miles to park entrance, and walk to the bottom (easy).

My favorite place however is the 1000 islands / St. Lawrence river. Wellesley island state park or the nearby and much smaller Dewolf state park are nice (especially Wellesley). They are both on Wellesley island, right off rt 81, almost to Canada (can kayak from dewolf to border bridge).
Border runs down the river 100-200 feet or so off Wellesley park's shoreline. Keewydin and Kring state parks are well liked too, on mainland rt 12, near 81. Parks all along there from lake Ontario at west end to the east end (Canada border).
Uncle Sam boat ride is great, and visiting Boldt Castle and Singer Castle (sewing machine owner). Going to Singer gets you a long boat ride.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
unsure if you know it's been replaced recently. I grew up in Batavia/Stafford and went snowmobiling there many times. My dad and I walked or snowmobiled down it one time.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom