Summer of Soul

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by OzRay, Jan 14, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Every year the Lyrebird Arts Council Inc of South Gippsland organises a music festival in our area called the Summer of Soul. They do a lot more to boot and this was their first for 2015. I attended the early part of the festival, before the acts began, to get some shots and a bit of a story on the people that attend the festival, rather than the acts who get more than enough coverage in sites such as facebook. I had no idea what to expect, so this was a suck it and see situation and a short story is here: http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/?p=4000. The coverage of the people wasn't extensive, as I didn't have as much time as I would have liked, but what I did get was sufficient for what I wanted this time around.

summer-31.

summer-41.

summer-61.

Next year, being somewhat more prepared, I'm going to see if I can do a lot more.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    and then left before the music started???
    :eek: Cat Empire isn't my favourite band (I have to whisper that as I have a connection to the band), but how could you miss Paul's set?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The music didn't start until 3:00pm and I was there at 12:00. Paul Kelly didn't start until 9:45pm and The Cat Empire came on after him. Unfortunately, I simply couldn't stay even for the start.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ray, ya just missed it.

It was in 1967 here in Detroit :biggrin:.

(I was there but have no photos :wink:).

Regards,

Jim

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I didn't think it was an original concept, just modified for those across the pond. ;)

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeah, but I bet you had fun!

:2thumbs:

Next time maybe you can stay later.

Regards,

Jim

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I enjoyed the time that I was there and it's a pity I couldn't stay longer. Getting back into just fronting people and asking if I could take their photo, and then quizzing them on their reasons for being there etc was a lot of fun (a pencil and pad was an absolute necessity). Also, being able to get shots that didn't look overly posed was great. As the afternoon wore on, it became very crowded, so I'm glad I got there early, as that gave me room to get shots of some interesting groups without too much getting in the way. Maybe next year I can plan things better and be able to stay a bit longer.

• Like Like x 1