Summer backpack

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by voltcontrol, May 8, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Since it's getting warmer over here and I don't like a getting a sweaty back from walking (or biking) about with my camera + laptop I want a backpack that's 'summer proof'.

So far I've been looking at various types, styles etc of backpacks and found that the most appropiate items are outdoor-brand type backpacks, with suspended or 'ventilated' backs. I like the ventilated type over the suspended type because the suspended type takes up space because of it's suspension arch.

I think I'm going for a Deuter Race X. I don't particularly like the look of outdoor-brand bags, a minimally styled cloth backpack that offers the same 'summerproof' functionality would be ideal.

So: Suggestions are welcome!

This is the summer-comfort-functionality or Airstripes as Deuter calls it in picture form:

This is the Race X:

P.s. I'll add a diy protective something for the camera.
  2. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    I have an Osprey Talon. There is a mesh that keeps the backpack pad completely off your back. My OMD, in an optech wrapper, fits in the top compartment.
  3. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    'Cool' option, thnx! Especially the Optech. Looks like exactly like what I need for the camera.

I've been looking at 's packs too btw. In terms of looks it's a bit better than the Deuter pack, but the added shipping cost make them minimaly twice as expensive.
  4. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I've got the Deuter Futura 28. I'm in Oz and it get very hot and the Deuter was great, it's the type that is suspended off your back. One thing you may want to consider is does the pack come with a rain cover.