Sulawesi, Indonesia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tarmo, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Tarmo

Tarmo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    About a month ago I spent 2,5 weeks in Sulawesi, one of the big (the size of an average European country) islands that make up Indonesia. It is a wonderful place with friendly people and few tourists off-season. I shot roughly 4000 photos and edited them down to ~80 in four sets. Somehow it always happens that by the time I'm done with post processing, I feel like most of the photos should be discarded, and next time I need to raise the bar much higher (at the time of shooting). I guess that's part of the learning process, but sometimes feels a bit frustrating. Hopefully I managed to find a good balance between quantity and quality in the final sets.

A word of caution: at the end of set #3 there are a few photos that imply killing dogs for food (which they do in Sulawesi). They should be fine for most viewers, but you have been warned.

Almost all the photos were shot with an unoriginal but excellent travel combination of OM-D E-M5, Oly 12-40/2.8 and Pana 35-100/2.8. This set of gear I am fully comfortable carrying around in the hot, dusty, humid, rough and dirty environment (only one lens at a time to avoid sensor dust). I am slightly tempted by Nikon D610 but really doubt it would produce better quality in my hands than the stabilised E-M5. Three or four of the photos were taken with the rather handy Fujifilm XQ1 compact. You may be able to tell which ones due to the bad DR setting I used (still new to that camera).

If you find the sets interesting, I would appreciate some constructive feedback and advice. What could I do better? Do the sets make any sense or do they just seem random? Is there something wrong with the processing? There is definitely room for improvement, but it is often difficult to accurately judge your own work (even the parts that I find unsatisfactory).

Here are a few of my favourites (click the link above for all photos & bigger sizes).

• Like Like x 4
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Awesome images!

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••
    • Like Like x 1