1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Suggestions on lens or camera

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by horseplay, Dec 18, 2013.

1. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013
    I have a oly e-pl1 with the kit 14-42 and the panny 20/1.7 lens. I use the panny a lot and really like the performance. I am very inexperienced with this. But I always thought the focus is a little slow. Is this a function of the camera body or the lens? If I want to upgrade what would you suggest?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

2. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I can't speak to the slowness of the lens, but I recently 'upgraded' from the E-PL2 to the E-M5 and am loving it. I've kept the E-PL2 as a second body, but the E-M5 is now my everyday shooter and I couldn't be happier. There are some great deals to be had on this camera now that the E-M1 is out.

3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Its both, the EPL1 is an older model camera, and more recent models have better AF performance.

However, the 20mm is one of the slowest AFing lenses in the system, so even with a new camera this lens will not focus fast by M43rds standards. Its a little faster on the latest Panasonic like the GX7 though people seem to say. The issue isn't really so much shot to shot speed its that when it has to rack focus/hunt it is really slow.

Personally I sold mine and bought a 17/1.8 and 25/1.4 and couldn't be happier.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Both are first gen products and are known to be slow AF. A newer camera like the em5 will certainly improve things due to its faster processor and faster sample rate but even then the 20mm will simply not keep up.

5. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013
    Will some of the cheaper bodies offer significant AF improvement?

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    While, as others have said, both the camera and lens are contributing to the overall slowness, since you also have the 14-42 you should be able to tell how much of it is the 20 by comparing focus speed between the two. If you are ok with the focus speed of the 14-42, but not the 20, then I would conclude that getting a new camera may not completely solve the issue with the 20. If, however, the 14-42 is also slow with your camera, then getting a new lens may not solve the issue with your camera.

7. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013
    I think the 14-42 is also slow. It hunts for focus in low light too long.

8. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you are looking for a fast focusing body while keeping the price low, I would recommend the G5. It has very good IQ and EVF at a very low price. It also has focus assist light.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

10. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013
    With the g5 I should get the body only then get better lens later, right? What lens combo do you recommend, consider I already have the 20/1.7 and will probably keep even with the slower focus.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That's what I'd do. The version of the 14-42 kit lens that came with the G5 was just OK optically, and mechanically junk. The newer version of the Panasonic 14-42 is better in every way.

And the G5 focuses quite well with the 20mm f1.7 lens (better than any of the Olympus bodies do). You also might find that you just don't ever need any of the 14-42 zooms. The 20mm prime is a fine lens. a really nice compliment to it would be either the longer 45-150mm zoom, and maybe the 14mm f2.5 wide angle.

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    With my G5 I have the Panasonic 14 and Olympus 45 and just bought the PL25. Since you have the P20, I'd decide which wanted more, wider or longer. I can highly recommend both the 14 and the 45. If you prefer zooms, I have read good things about the P14-45, which is available used on ebay regularly for a really good price. Or of course if you want to spend the extra money, the Panasonic 12-35 is supposed to be a great lens. I may end up with one some day, but I am enjoying my primes for now.

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've had that combo too. The EPL1 is a slow focusing camera. The first FW update did speed it up a tiny bit. The 14-42 lens that came with it is also slow, and of course the 20mm is one of the slowest focusing premium lenses sold for M43. All of this never really got in my way, but that's personal taste.

If you like the PEN body style, the newer bodies like EPM1 and EPL3 are much faster focus, have an AF light to help in the dark, and if you get them with the 14-42 II lens, the newer lens is also faster. These two cameras are quite cheap these days.

However, some fantastic deals just flashed by on the EPM2 and EPL5, which have sensors that blow away all the older PEN's. In the USA, there was the EPM2 with two lenses for $349, and EPL5 with same two lenses for $499. It must mean replacements are coming. Perhaps these sales will return.

14. horseplay

horseplay New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2013
    How does the epm2 compare to the g5? I like the smaller form factor and the look but not sure about everything else. Similar priced. Also are the two zoom lens come with the kit, 14-42 and 40-150 serviceable?

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The G5 made the 20 1.7 perform very well, better than on any other body I've had (3 Pany, 3 Oly). It seems the slowest on Olympus bodies.

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have a G5 and the E-PM1, not the E-PM2, so I can't compare those two cameras from personal experience. Here is what I can tell you. Even with the E-PM1 I didn't have any issues with the quality of photos the camera could produce. Everyone has different tolerances, but for me the E-PM1 quality was very good. And so is the G5. I understand the sensor in the E-PM2 is better than the sensor in the E-PM1. Some say much better. What I can tell you is that while I loved the size of the E-PM1, the controls were very frustrating to me. I love the G5. It is easier for me to change the settings I often change and the camera is very comfortable for me to use. So, for me, the G5 is the right camera. While the E-PM2 might be able to produce better photos, the aggravation of the interface takes it out of consideration for me. The G5 quality is perfectly acceptable for me.

Now, as to the kit lenses, I have not used the Panasonic kit lenses, but I have the 14-42 that came with the E-PM1 and I bought the Oly 40-150. The 14-42 is not bad for a kit lens. I hardly ever use it anymore since buying my prime kit, but it really isn't that bad. Now, the 40-150 produces much better results than such a cheap lens has a right to. It is more than serviceable.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you are OK with limited physical controls, i.e., buttons and dials, the E-PM2 is a nice compact body with great IQ. The IBIS isn't fabulous, but you can always turn it off. You can add the VF3 for $100 (used or a frequent deal) or splurge on the VF4.