Suggestions on camera malfunctioning

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My em5mkll just did a total quit on me , led screen glows, on off switch doesn't work, no picture with lens attached, shutter, menu ,scp not functioning. I looked this up in the forums and realized one year ago it happened but it just wouldn't turn on and off but did correct itself after a few days unplugged. I have left the battery out for three days but nothing.And just for the cherry on top my three extended warranty expired on 7/27/19. I am considering sitting it out in the sun for 30 minutes to super dehydrate it? Does olympus still deny this is an issue?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
My em5mkll just did a total quit on me , led screen glows, on off switch doesn't work, no picture with lens attached, shutter, menu ,scp not functioning. I looked this up in the forums and realized one year ago it happened but it just wouldn't turn on and off but did correct itself after a few days unplugged. I have left the battery out for three days but nothing.And just for the cherry on top my three extended warranty expired on 7/27/19. I am considering sitting it out in the sun for 30 minutes to super dehydrate it? Does olympus still deny this is an issue?
I presume the shutter has not jammed. I bought a E-M1 Mkii which had been dropped, and the shutter is closed. It sounds as though it does something similar. On switch on it does a few clicks, then nothing. I have come to the conclusion that it is failing the startup check. However it does talk to the updater via USB, and I was able to update the software.
A shame that there is not a button press sequence to use on startup which does a factory reset. The one we use needs a working screen.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
You could do the special power-up sequence to get to the display of the fault codes, but all you would really learn is that it is broken and you need to send it in.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
The problem is that although it is starting to power up, there is nothing on the display, or in the EVF, just you can see the backlight has come on. Suspect that is the case with the OP. Very hard to do the special sequence blind, especially if the menu reset is not switched on.
Agree probably best for Acraftman to talk to Olympus, or the supplier of the 3 yr extended warranty.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So I sat it out in the sun for thirty minutes because leaving the battery out for 50+hours didn't do anything and viola the screen started working again but it still wouldn't shut off. I then noticed when turning the switch on and off it felt like it was dragging so I took a tooth brush and a couple shots of compressed air noticed that made the switch seem to function a lot better put the battery back in and.... back to working like normal , in conclusion if you go shoot motocross and get sprayed with mud and sand, photograph models in the pouring rain, go whale watching in a zodiac, trek through the mountains in the rain there's a chance something might go odd. Thank you everybody who replied.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Bit of crud in the switch.
It happens. Glad it was a simple fix.
Somehow I missed the models in the rain pics... :(

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bit of crud in the switch.
It happens. Glad it was a simple fix.
Somehow I missed the models in the rain pics... :(
I remember asking Amin about posting NSFW photo's and he was very clear about it. One out of the rain.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Really check your credit card that you used to buy the camera and warranty. Mine provides an additional year AFTER extended warranty. I did collect on this once. There were specific procedures to follow but I got my $200.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom