Suggestions for Tripods for Olympus E-PM2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Not the short mini ones, actual human-height-sized tripods.

2. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    If you're looking for a lightweight, relatively inexpensive tripod, I can recommend the Sirui T-005X. (Note that I say "relatively inexpensive," not "inexpensive." I've had a truly cheap tripod, and it was much more aggravation than it was worth.)

MeFoto makes several models that are similar to the Sirui. I don't have any experience with the MeFoto tripods, but there have been favorable comments on this forum.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I second the Sirui recommendation. I own the older T-005 and love it.

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    +1 for sirui. Just bought one after loads of research. Not the cheapest but way cheaper than many bigger brands. It packs down really small, in fairly light but really well designed and made. Perfect for a m43 set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
  6. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    I have 3 Gitzo tripods, all different sizes, depending on the application. they are more expensive, but they last, and last, and last...

7. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    My local store only has the T-1005X, the old 005, and the T-005KX, these are not the same right? :(

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Though it is overkill, I will be listing a Bogen/Manfrotto 3011 legs and a 3063 fluid head up for sale soon. Both are rated to 13+ lbs. The only issue with the head is that the plate may be bigger than the body of the PM2 (RC0 style release).

9. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I've had the MeFoto Roadtrip (in blue) for a while and absolutely love it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I also have the MeFoto Roadtrip and really like it. I picked it over the Sirui and the MeFoto Backpacker mentioned in this thread because I didn't need the extreme portability, because the Roadtrip is taller (my husband is 6'4") and more stable, and because it doubles as a monopod.

11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have an Induro A113 and knock-off ball head from eBay. Its not a "travel" tripod (still about 2 feet long packed down), relatively heavy, but priced moderately and is plenty stable at full height for smaller cameras like the PM2. The Induro tripods come with a storage/travel bag, which helps when carrying it any distance. Its essentially a cheaper version of the Gitzo aluminum tripods. I use it only occasionally, so it will likely last quite some time...

12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I think the T-1005X doesn't come with a ball head. I did a little Googling to check on the differences between the 005X and the old 005, and came up with this statement (from an Amazon customer review, so not an "official" description, but sounds reasonable: "Anyway, the difference between this model (T-005X) and the T-005 is that the center column unscrews on the T-005x giving one the ability to use it just with the legs and get a touch more stability (though less height). This model is also specked at 1.9lbs versus 2.2lbs." (The 1.9 lbs is the weight of the tripod, not the maximum weight that it will bear. Load capacity for the T-005X is 8.8 lbs.)

I think the T-005KX is the same model as the one I have. The "K" means that it's the black one. I have the red one. Also available in light blue.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, if you're particularly tall you'll probably want to look for a taller tripod. I'm 5'8"-ish, and the Sirui is fine for me.

I've used mine with an E-M5 and the Oly 14-150. I don't have any really big lenses, so I couldn't say how the tripod would perform with a camera with a big lens.

One small detail -- the Sirui doesn't have a built-in level, which would have been a nice feature. However, there's a level function on the camera.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    +1 for Roadtrip. I have it in gold and it's great. I might consider the Sirui T-025X though if I wanted something even smaller and lighter for travel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I have a Manfroto MKC3 H01 which I love and is a good fit for Micro 43rds. It works fine for 99% of my tripod needs. Only time I really break out the big tripod is when I'm doing long exposure work and there is some wind. But that normally isn't the type of photography I do so it's never been an issue at least for me.

P8153757.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAB2jqyk-g

15. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
  16. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Avoid cheap tripods. A tripod is an investment that will last longer than your camera.
    Like some people here, I have a Mefoto Roadtrip and I like it. It is an overkill for ยต4/3 hardware, even with the Pana 100-300, the body and lens weight just more than one kilogram. If you don't need the monopod, the slightly smaller Mefoto Backpacker might be a good choice.
    Manfrotto and Gitzo are excellent brands too. There are others...

I have a small Gorillapod original for the GM1 + the kit zoom. I can roll it into a pocket but I don't think it can support a Pen with a bigger lens (max 325 g; even with a GM1, it is not very stable). If you want this kind of gizmo, you'll need the hybrid version, which is much bigger.

If you need something small and light that can be opened and closed qucikly, the Tamrac Zip Shot could be an option. Of course, that it is not the most stable tripod on the market.

17. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Gonna choose the RoadTrip, thanks for this. Been debating between the two.

18. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Now I am having trouble picking what color...I was thinking the blue one but not sure yet...

19. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I think you will love the RoadTrip, whichever color you choose. I have purple, which is probably more appealing to women than men, but purple is one of my favorite colors.

One other benefit of the RoadTrip that I didn't mention is the ability to reverse the center column. I didn't expect to use that but it actually comes in handy for photographing plants, flowers or bugs close to the ground where I otherwise would have to lie on the ground to get the shot. The tilting screen of my E-M10 works well with it. This blog entry describes the feature http://blog.mefoto.com/blog/reverse-the-center-column

• Like Like x 2
  20. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Is it necessary to get the Benro QR Plate as well??!