1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Suggestions For Telephotos

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SCT, Oct 16, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Anyone have suggestions for a good telephoto? I prefer a mirror telephoto since itll be compact but full size bulky would be fine... I have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm which is nice but I want to go further than 210mm. I saw one for sale which was I think a 500mm, forgot what brand. But I looked it up and people said it sucked so I didnt buy it.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Heard good things about the Nikon 300mm AI-s IF-ED f4.5. Haven't used one though.

There is also a f2.8 version, but its a tad more 'exclusive' :)

3. PeterC

PeterC New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2011
    The Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 works nicely on m4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about the Minolta 300mm f/4.5 Tele Rokkor?

5. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I looked those up. All are nice!... however.... anything closer to 500mm and would go for $150 or less? I mean I want to be able up close from far far away. Maybe that max price for me would be too low for what I'm looking for.

Ned - I looked up that lens thru Google. A link took me to some guys webpage where he listed what lenses he had and I noticed a Minolta 500mm in his list.
    Minolta 500mm f/8 RF Rokkor-X on The Rokkor Files - My Gear
    ... which is the kind of tele I'm looking for since it's compact.... but I found one for sale at damn near $400.

EDIT:

Yep. My price range is low for what I'm looking for... 500mm go for at least $300 or so on ebay... hopefully I'll finding something good at some random pawn or thrift shop. Or perhaps get lucky on ebay (but I doubt it).

6. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I was searching for threads on long telephotos and just came across this one, sorry I'm late to the party. If you haven't found a lens yet, try KEH.COM. They have tons of used equipment of all sorts, most of pretty reasonably priced. As of today, they have a Canon FD 500mm f8 mirror tele for $179. The condition is listed as "Bargain", but they're called bargain if they have even minor cosmetic blemishes. I purchased a couple of their bargain lenses, and they were fine optically and mechanically. One tip though: if you purchase a lens from them, try to get one that comes with the lens caps. Used caps can be expensive.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are a lot of fairly poor cheap 500mm mirror lenses made by the likes of Opteka and Bower.

Note that on a m4/3 camera, 500mm is a really narrow angle of view. That means not only will you need a tripod for stabilization, but even minor quantities of moisture in the atmosphere will lead to soft and distorted images for anything at any distance.

The other downside of mirror lenses is that out-of-focus regions tend not to be as smooth as with regular telephoto lenses. So-called 'donut bokeh'.

Good luck in your search,

DH

8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I'm using a Reflex-Nikkor 500/8. Very compact and light for its focal length.
    But, not a fast lens. You need lots of light and a stable tripod.
    Here's a sample pic :

sized_P1090503.

C U,
    Rafael​