Suggestions for taking photos of meteor shower?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Frunch, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Tonight is a wonderful chance to see the Perseid meteor shower, a great opportunity to get some nice photos at the same time. Any suggestions for settings to get the best results? I'm just getting into photography and can use any advice I can get! Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Thanks, and happy star gazing!
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Glad I came across your post, I did not even know it was that time of the year already! Don't have any tips from experience, but I just googled and found a bunch of sites with suggestions. Here is a link to one of them:

Tips and Tricks: Photographing the Perseid Meteor Shower by Fred Bruenjes | AstroPhoto Insight

Generally speaking, key pieces of advice across all sites:
    - use a normal to wide angle lens (20mm to 12mm for :43:)
    - experiment with varying exposure from 30 seconds and longer, at wider apertures
    - obviously, use a tripod! :smile:

Good luck; I hope I get up at the required time.
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I tried photographing the Persiads one year. Not a one good shot. Its not easy. Wide angle, long exposures. You don't want too long or they will start to smear in the direction the earth rotates. You do want them to streak, however. The problem is, the origination of the shower, such as the Persiads, doesn't mean that is where they will be seen. I live in a highly lighit polluted area, which doesn't help, either.
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some meteors might come in handy ... around here there is just too much fog or city lights so a good excuse fro a late night road trip. Last night I took the kids out a ways into the hills and did not see any meteors but the lurking shadows and coyote howls in the distance were great entertainment.

Wide angle and long exposure and just hope to get lucky. A good lens shade to keep the light from the full moon at bay will be helpful. Bulb maybe but 60 seconds and just keep clicking away (a remote timer helps). If there is any dust of haze in the air the moon will be the a problem.

If you don't know the constellations use google earth in skymode to find Perseus. Even better is something like Stellarium. In the northern hemisphere look to the east to find Casseopia (pretty easy) and still east of that will be Perseus (the radiant of the shower). Generally the east and overhead are good areas to look.