Suggestions for staycation

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not sure if that's how its spelled. We live in the South Eastern part of the U.S. and are avid motorcycle riders I am retired but my wife still has a job which only enables her a week off at a time. So I will load our bikes up and head somewhere and she will fly to our destination . Last year we went to Crater lake / Southern Oregon, and N.Calif. Year before I drove out to Glaicer National Park. I'm from Texas she's from Florida so we have covered those areas along with Colorado,Utah,Arizona,New Mexico,Washington,Wyoming,Idaho,Maine,Vermont,New Hampshire,Adirondacks, so on etc.I am just trying to define where we probably don't need to go this year.
This year the plan is I drive up to Newfoundland and she meets me. We have been to Nova Scotia/Prince Edward island so I'm kinda feeling like a been there done that trip is coming up, Finally! I get to that point. If you had a week just to go somewhere lets say between the east coast and the Rocky Mountains maybe North of the Mason/Dixon line this will be late June and early July where would you go? Remembering motorcycling and photography will be the most desirable activities. Sorry about the long pre-amble.

Last edited:

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Newfoundland is a lot more wild compared to Nova Scotia/PEI. That said, on a bike, just be aware that the roads suck, a lot of potholes.

Gros Morne in the north feels more like the Rockies. We went to Elliston for the puffins, see

Real Name
Ian
The Finger Lakes district in NY is beautiful, as is the Adirondack State Park in NY.

If you're doing a week, take a look at riding through the Adirondacks.

Oh, and BTW what you describe is not a staycation, but a true vacation. A staycation is when you take vacation/PTO from work, but stay in the general area of where you live. You're traveling to different states, making it a true vacation.

Stringer

Mu-43 Regular
I did a month in Newfoundland in June 2017 and it is one of the best places I have been to. Great for photography but it does not have hotels in a number of places, so accommodations are a big concern. So bed and breakfast places are what you need to look for if you want to get to the best sites. One week would not allow you to see all of the island. When I was there there were so many iceberg you couldn’t count them all, also whales and seals were plentiful.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
You mention Maine, NH, & VT; but don't mention MA or RI?

Boston, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket Island, and Newport Rhode Island.

Not the cheapest locations to visit, but all 4 are close enough to hit more than one in a week.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Thanks, the U.P. has been on the radar!
Not just the UP, but many places around the Great Lakes. Port Austin was already mentioned. Also, there are the Sleeping Bear Dunes in the NW part of the lower peninsula. Stop by Hartwick Pines State Park on the way there or back. Make it up to Sault Ste. Marie (The 'Soo') and see the locks. Western end of the UP is Porcupine Mountain State Park with Lake of the Clouds.

Your trip begins at Pure Michigan!

Welcome To Pure Michigan

Rainman

Mu-43 Regular
Not just the UP, but many places around the Great Lakes. Port Austin was already mentioned. Also, there are the Sleeping Bear Dunes in the NW part of the lower peninsula. Stop by Hartwick Pines State Park on the way there or back. Make it up to Sault Ste. Marie (The 'Soo') and see the locks. Western end of the UP is Porcupine Mountain State Park with Lake of the Clouds.

Your trip begins at Pure Michigan!

Welcome To Pure Michigan
Tunnel of Trees, Leelanau, Petoskey. A bunch of places to see before you even reach the big bridge.

dedindi

New to Mu-43
What about Greece? Greece is incredible. Crete hosts the longest gorge in Europe (Samaria gorge), and the Vikos gorge in North Greece (epirus province) is the deepest gorge in the world. And the Greek people are great and very warm. You can use Greece Car Rental and just explore the island.
I always like how people experience Greece for the first time as I have done in my own ways. But I also know that there are still SO many surprises and gorgeous experiences in Greece still waiting to be explored.

Last edited:

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I did a month in Newfoundland in June 2017 and it is one of the best places I have been to. Great for photography but it does not have hotels in a number of places, so accommodations are a big concern. So bed and breakfast places are what you need to look for if you want to get to the best sites. One week would not allow you to see all of the island. When I was there there were so many iceberg you couldn’t count them all, also whales and seals were plentiful.
It was your message that clinched it for me, we did the airb&b route and had great luck. We only saw one iceberg but being from Texas that was a treat,I only saw the remains of one moose didn't see any live ones. I think my favorite little town was Trinity so picture perfect.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom