Suggestions for SLIM m4/3 backpack?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by duvinclunk, Sep 11, 2012.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have been having a really hard time finding a backpack that will hold my OMD with a couple of lenses and accessories. Most bags on the market cater to full DSLR's and have room for big lenses. When I find a bag I like it seems to have TOO much camera space in the bag that would never get filled with such a small camera...or I find a bag with good space but then can't fit anything else (I'd love it to fit my Macbook Air, headphones, book, and a few small things). I prefer it not to look too much like a camera bag but have good functionality. Anyone either have a slim, or smallER, bag they recommend or know of one that might fit the criteria?

Any suggestion is welcomed. Again, I'm looking for a backpack and not a messenger style bag.

2. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
  3. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I actually purchased the Kata 465-DL thinking it would fit everything needed but I wasn't able to get a computer in anywhere. I'll have to do some more looking into this model, which is very similar to the one I bought.
    Thanks. :thumbup:
    This is actually one of my favorite bags I've seen (in the orange). Only problem is that from the pictures it appears that it ONLY holds camera equipment. I needs something that can carry more 'personal' items.
  4. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    This is my every day bag:

Lowepro 250

I carry my Macbook air, headphones, books, jacket, and my omd with pl 25mm

The camera section is a little big for just the OMD but you can also put in an extra lens there or whatever without any worries as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Ah yes, I've considered that one. :thumbup:
  6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    ^ Cool idea, I like that. I only worry that there is no padding support on that electronics board that if the bag takes a drop the camera and equipment will feel the hit. I'd prefer something with a dedicated camera 'section'.
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    For something as small as my GH2 system, I rarely use a backpack, a messenger bag works best. But my Lowepro Slingshot AW200 is more than enough, the AW100 is probably an even better fit.
  8. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Understandable. As mentioned I don't care for a messenger bag as I often times am biking, hiking (not super long distances), walking long distances, or climbing and I don't care for how a messenger bag sits of feels carrying. The Slingshot looks like a nice bag but doesn't allow me to carry a laptop when traveling and also looks very much like a camera bag that I'd like to get away from when in other countries or less savory parts of the city.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I feel your pain... I looked around for a while and it was hard to find something that wasn't geared towards DSLRs. Also, I was hoping for something that would give me the flexibility of bringing along a small laptop when traveling.

The best solution I could come up with is to use a regular backpack (I am using a Tom Bihn Synapse) along with Crumpler Haven insert (small size). The benefit of this arrangement, I find, is that I can also use the insert in other bags (messenger, laptop bag).

Haven (S)
  10. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I use a Lowepro Photo Traveler 150. I have configured 2 zones with the Velcro inserts: one for my E-M5 and zoom lens; the other for the lenses and flash, al packed in micro pouches. I can also pack an iPad in the front pocket. Works well for me so far.
  11. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I use a Kata LPS 215, which I bought on sale. The camera compartment is on the bottom of the bag. I can fit an OMD with either Sigma 30 or 19 mounted and two lenses. An Oly 45 and either of the sigma lenses not being used. I carry an 11 inch laptop plus a acer iconia 500 tablet. Plus a few accesories, filters, batteries etc... The straps are padded and there is a sternum strap which is essential if you are going to be riding. It also comes with a rain cover if you are keen. It has a dedicated laptop compartment which is padded. Here are some shots, taken with an old iphone so please excuse the quality.

I mainly use this bag on the days that I don't commute to work by bike. My main commuting bag is a dueter race x air which has a mesh frame back which is great. The reason being is that it sits firmly on you back and there is gap between the pack and your back. This works when you have a laptop since they don't curve to the shape of your back. However it quite small 12 litres. So I can fit my 11 laptop , lunch and camera with only one lense attached.

Hope this helps

Camera Roll-58 by Rich_00_, on Flickr

Camera Roll-59 by Rich_00_, on Flickr

Camera Roll-60 by Rich_00_, on Flickr

Camera Roll-61 by Rich_00_, on Flickr

Camera Roll-63 by Rich_00_, on Flickr

Camera Roll-64 by Rich_00_, on Flickr
  12. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    ^ Nice little bag. Haven't seen that before, I'll look into it.
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    This is not a backpack, but rather a pretty comfy slingbag. I happen to like the design a lot, and the compartments are perfectly sized for M4/3 cameras and lenses. I, myself, use an Ari Marcopoulos version, which is pricier.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I do love the look of that bag. Wish it had two shoulder straps!
  15. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
  16. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    I got myself the frame1 camera bag in tan leather. It's a beauty. Works well for me with my omd, about 4-5 lens and some filters thrown in. Not a backpack of course but a great camera bag !
  17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer