1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for scanning negatives

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SVQuant, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I have been meaning to get down to scanning my collection of negatives as a DIY project for some time now. I even bought an Epson scanner for this purpose a few years ago, but ended up getting through only a couple of years of stuff. I am not sure I will have the time to do this by myself in the near future. I was wondering if any one has used any of the services that are out there that they were happy with and would recommend? Also, any to avoid?

As an alternative, I can pay my 11yo to do this over the summer break. He is pretty computer savvy and good with his hands. We are talking a few thousand negatives here. In that case, do people have a recommendation for a good slide/negative scanner + software which will do a good job with him in charge.

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Nikon Coolscan 5000 buy it used, use it move it on.

You won't look back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I use an ancient Bowens Illumitran with a Canon 5D on top and a Rodagon enlarging lens at the bottom. I can digitise 36 exposures in less than 5 minutes and the results are good. Mine cost the equivalent of $100 but the prices are all over the place so look around well.

16777455248_ee85626b38_b.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Good thought. It is a one time thing, since I am not shooting film any more.

I want that thing in my home office! Just to show my kids how stuff used to be done. Are you doing any cleaning in post once you digitize?

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry