1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for Olympus PEN Camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aukirk, Nov 23, 2012.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    A few months back I sold my Sony Nex 7 and bought an Olympus OM-D E-M5. I have absolutely fallen in love with the micro 4/3s format, and have acquired a healthy number of lenses for this new system.

I have always had a second camera, which is primarily used by my wife and serves as a backup/second camera for me. When I had a Nikon D90, the second camera was a point and shoot. Before I got the Sony Nex 7, I had the Nex 5, so I had that as the second camera and still have that as my second camera.

I am now thinking it makes sense to have a small Olympus PEN body as the backup/second camera, so that I can just have one set of lenses. I want it to have a flash hot-shoe that for the FL600R, and would like it to be good at video (since that is often what my wife is shooting when I am taking stills).

The entire line of PEN cameras is very confusing for me. Any suggestions what I should get? I am leaning towards the EPM-1, but if there is an older version of something else that may be available used on eBay I may be able to save some money.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There are a couple of EPM1 refurbs with one year warranty still at cameta.com.
    E-PM1 Micro for $239

About two weeks ago, you could have bought the body for under $200. However, when I paid $299 for mine, I was happy then.

I use mine with my EM5. For video, turn off IBIS. It's pretty hokey as far as controls though.

Edit: It's only money. The EPM2 will give you the same quality as your EM5 (except for IBIS) and the body only is $449 this weekend for Black Friday. Gets rid of some of the hokey button issues too.

3. robrobin

robrobin New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2012
    I looked at a few today and though they were slightly smaller and lighter, I didn't see much real difference from the EM5 after mounting a lens.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for the E-PM2. Same 16mp sensor as the OM-D vs the first-generation 12mp sensor in the E-PM1 plus the latest image-processing algorithms. The newer camera also adds two more external function buttons (one of which is customizable), meaning you'll be menu-diving a bit less. The E-PM2 also has a fixed hand grip on the front of the camera (the E-PM1 can get a bit slippery) and even has a touch-sensitive screen.

There is more, including a new finer auto-focus point option and a new lens IS priority setting (on by default but can be deactivated) which allows the camera to take advantage of the lens-based image stabilization featured in many Panasonic micro four-thirds lenses when such lenses are mounted on the E-PM2.

Don't get me wrong: I have the E-PM1 and it's a great little camera. It's replaced all of my compact, smaller-sensored cameras. But if I didn't own one yet and had the choice between it and the E-PM2, I would definitely go for the E-PM2. The OM-D deserves a smaller, back-up camera that's this good.

To the OP's last point about perhaps buying an older Pen on eBay for less money: The problem is the new-old stock is running low on some of these cameras and the prices aren't as low as they used to be. But Cameta Camera still has some nice deals on refurbished Pens, including the higher-end E-P3 body-only for $379. This camera has the same sensor as the E-PL3 and E-PM1 but is a bit more robust in build and has a built-in flash unit, which the cameras above don't have (you have to mount the included flash unit in the hot shoe with the others), and a higher-resolution (614k OLED) touch-screen LCD.

http://www.cameta.com/olympus-compact-ilc-cameras.cfm