Suggestions for Managing Images

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Would anyone like to chime in and offer some advice / suggestions on managing images?

As a recent member I'd been posting in the forums / threads which is always fun, and elicits a pretty interesting variety of comments and suggestions.

It appears however that posting to those locations has a short shelf life. Sadly, where there is a 10 Mb limit, you can't post much..

Posting in the members gallery provides considerably more space, but not the kind of really great interactive experience with instant feedback one gets from the forum / threads.

Is there something I'm missing?
Does everyone else simply delete the images from previous posts to the forums?

Can you post a link to photos in the gallery in the thread? (I'm reasonably sure you can, just don't know how at the moment)

Any thoughts on keeping that "quick thread feedback" while not burning up ones limited space?

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi,
There are quite a few image hosting sites which you can upload as many photos as you want to on for free. Some sites will offer enhanced facilities for a fee.
A lot of people here seem to use Flickr, but I use ImageShack, but that was down today and I just used Picoodle which seems straightforward and it worked. There are several others.
You can post images held on those sites here.
What I do is go to the full screen view of the photo on the site I use and copy the url of the photo (properties in Windows). You can then click on the insert image symbol you'll see at the top of your forum post composition box and simply copy your URL.

Alternatively:
If you need to resize the image as displayed in the forum here is the html code (just substitute the URL and adjust numbers to resize):
IMG height=20 src="your URL here" width=750
- you need to put a < at the start and a > at the end (had to leave them off so it didn't activate). You just need to copy that code directly into your text compostion.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
Alan, you can use the Mu43 gallery to post images within the threads here: Mu-43 FAQ. This is the section that describes how to use the gallery, as well as how to embed or post within threads if one is using web host such as Flickr, etc. Just click on the appropriate hyperlinks.

Within the Software Forum, there are a number of different thread about various web hosting sites. Here is are a couple of handy threads you might want to take a look at: https://www.mu-43.com/f74/gallery-image-hosting-info-zenfolio-flickr-more-863/ and https://www.mu-43.com/f74/flickr-tips-traps-8058/ I hope this helps, Alan. Please feel free to add questions with regard to these web hosting sites to those threads.

Spuff, thanks for your help!

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I use Smugmug as my photo-hosting site of choice. I've been there since 2005 and I've been very pleased with the experience.

Gary

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the useful suggestions.

I have noticed, on several occasions, a big hole in a forum post stating the flickr Post is not available....

Attempted an upload to Flickr from Aperture 3, got back an error relating to the app not being registered, certified etc. Went through their steps several times, with zero success.

Downloaded their uploading application, then your sort of stuck with doing an export prior to the upload, no?

Gary: I really do like your layout at Smugmug, I've visited, browsed and enjoyed it there.

Spuff: Thanks for the nicely documented insert methodology. I'm going to revisit your direction and explore that as my solution.

I do have a Mobile Me account, and more than likely I could use that for image hosting using the method described by spuff as well.

There was never a doubt that MU-43 would come through with some great suggestions!
Not posting to the forums would most assuredly lessen the overall experience here..

Thank to all. Alan

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
With those "big holes" what it means is that the link to the photo has been broken. Often, people delete photos on Flickr and thus - the big hole appears.:wink: This can also happen if editing is done, via whatever means one is using, to the photo and the link gets broken. I don't want to get involved in specifics here.

It would be better to ask specific questions - as with Aperture, Lightroom, etc., over on the Software forum where they will be seen by users of the individual softwares in question and others will be able to help and learn.

We have some very good Aperture threads in there, too. Here are the results of a title search for Aperture: https://www.mu-43.com/search.php?searchid=145094 Take a scroll through and I think you'll find some very worthwhile threads.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi BBW. Oh I'm aware of what causes the "holes" in the thread. Which is what has prevented me, until now, from exploring Flickr as an option.

I'm going to devote a couple of hours to the issue this afternoon hopefully.

Thanks. Alan

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
After a little (thought) review.

Which of the services provides a "thumb nail" or actual image in the thread?
I'm messing around with Flickr again as we speak...

Will Flickr present a thumb in the actual thread, hosted on Flickr..?

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Flickr Test. Imbed html

Test of Battleship Cove shot.

Big Mammy.

5378616012_87f4e113ac_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"1024" height="685" alt="P1010330 - Version 2" /></a>[/IMG]

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Big Mammy at Rest. 2

This is the second test..

Big Mammy again. Battleship Cove - Fall River, Ma.

5377991307_029d2c460c_b.jpg
"1024" height="685" alt="P1010335 - Version 2" /></a>[/IMG]

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You should be able to do that without the '

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Removing the IMG markers... test

This is a test, removing the IMG markers.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5375853944/" title="&quot;Bored&quot; Games Border by Alan Roseman, on Flickr">
5375853944_9f75cd3f1a_b.jpg
"1024" height="693" alt="&quot;Bored&quot; Games Border" /></a>

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Success!

looks like that'll work...

Thanks for all the help.

The "Bored Games" shot has a border added via the Aperture Export plug in.
So, unless I export the pic to a folder adding the border, I'll have to upload sans borders.

Very helpful though...

Latest threads

Top Bottom