1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for low budget Portrait strobe kits

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Undertow, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Undertow

Undertow  

May 17, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm just doing some portrait work for a musician i know and looking for some ideas for strobe kits on a budget. Any suggestions as far brands and gear needed? Would one strobe and a soft box be enough? Totally new at portrait work. I will be using a GH2/G2 for the Project.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For budget strobes, it really all depends on what's available in your area. These kits are like "house brands", so every retailer will have a different budget kit. If you get something like the Flashpoint by Adorama though, then you have some consistency because they do business nationally.

One of the budget brands offered in my area which I've had a lot of experience with is Opus. I've done many product shoots with a pair of 500W Opus strobes, and they offer a very good bang-for-the-buck at an affordable price with good power. *EDIT: I just looked on their website and no longer see the 500W kits (1000W total for a pair) that I'm used to using. I don't know if they're discontinued or what... Instead they're selling kits with 2 or 3 250W or 150W lights. Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

However, all this is probably irrelevant to you if that brand isn't sold in your area. :) Unless you're looking online, then stop by your local camera store and see what kind of budget options they have in the first place... then come back and ask us for our opinions on them. Or if you're shopping online, the Flashpoint Adorama kit that Promit mentioned may be worth looking into, or perhaps Cowboy Studios found on eBay (*EDIT: and I guess now on their own website). Many people here and on other forums have Cowboy Studio lighting kits. Personally, I don't order stuff online (when I need lighting I need it now and not later) so I'm not much help there.

If you're looking online and willing to spend a little more than just the bare-bottom budget kits... look at Alien Bees from Paul Buff (who also sell Einstein and White Lighting). They are very affordable kits in the slightly higher quality segment. They ain't no Bowen or Elinchrom, but they're pretty darn good! PS, you'll notice that the higher-end Einstein uses a pyrex (I assume) globe like the Elinchroms and other high-end studio lights.