1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for linux

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by manzoid, Sep 8, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi all

I much prefer to run ubuntu over windows and don't like the price premium associated with most things apple.

Mostly this works fine for me, but from what I can tell, I don't think any linux raw development programs make the default lens corrections required for micro four thirds.

Does anyone know of any, even if they cost money?

Thanks in advance.

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    AFAIK, RawTherapee doesn't apply default corrections. I could be wrong. I don't know of any other RAW converters out there. While I love linux, the main problem is just there's not enough support for niche programs like Apple or Windows has.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree I think raw therapee is the one decent Linux ram software, it's fairly customizable

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  5. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the attention and replies.

For anyone else that is interested, I have tried rawtherapee, ufraw, digikam, darktable and even aftershot pro products (formerly bibble).

While perhaps none touch lightroom, I think the last 3 in particular are quite workable as alternatives, except one major problem.. None seem to make the corrections coded for by the raw files.

There is a free database called lensfun that seems to correct some lenses, and I believe aftershot has some feature that allows users to manually calibrate lenses, but i was hoping for something easier and more comprehensive.

My default now is to use oly viewer 2 to make tiffs, then adjust, but tiffs are kind of big.

Edit: just looked at your digikam link Rob. Perhaps it does do auto corrections, I'll have to take another look.

6. RobWatson

Also be aware of this from the LR4 correction thread

"But, part of the m43 standard is that lens correction data is embedded in the lens itself, and included as part of the raw file. Raw converters than know how to read this data (including LR) apply it automatically, so there's no need to download profiles from the web or search for them in other places. One of the advantages of a system designed from the ground up for digital. Some raw converters DON'T use this data, however.

Olympus lenses are encoded for distortion correction. Panasonic lenses are also encoded for lateral CA correction, but this is only written to the raw file when you use a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body. No CA correction data is written with any Olympus body, nor any Olympus lens.

BTW, if you shoot jpeg, the camera automatically applies this correction data in the jpeg conversion process, too."

7. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    It is precisely these embedded corrections that I'd like to be made in a Linux RAW development program.

My 14-150mm Oly lens shows a severe amount of vignetting without the corrections at 14mm.

I fear I'm out of luck, but at least my legacy lenses work just fine in Linux.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just write the code for it yourself :rofl: Sorry, I can't resist making fun of the OSS guys. You mentioned Ubuntu -- are you using the Unity interface? I've been toying with Fedora and GNOME Shell and I'm not too happy with it. Linux Mint with MATE still seems like the smoothest environment, though I've been meaning to explore Xfce.

9. RobWatson

Hmmm... generally distortion and chromatic abberration info is encoded in the meta data but not vignetting.

It does beg the question for me since I use pana lenses on Oly bodies so manual correction is called for presuming one can find the appropriate data to apply.

10. Tenson

Tenson New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Surprisingly, Silkpic, the program that comes with our camera actually works pretty well with Wine so you should be able to run it pretty easily under ubuntu (Just install wine from the software center first).

What you could do is to get Silkpic to correct all the photo first and save it into a Tiff file and work on the Tiff file in DigiKam. I know it's an extra step but it works pretty well!

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Personally if I ever needed a desktop workstation, I would probably just build one myself and dual boot Windows and OS X on it. The latter can be installed on generic x86/x64 computers as long as they have the right hardware. Probably against the terms in the EULA, but meh, I don't think there's anything wrong as long as you bought your copy. OS X does all of the linuxy things I need via its X11 support, and I couldn't go without the access to commercial software.

12. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Actually I use Mint MATE too, I just wanted to keep it simple. I can't stand Unity long enough to get used to it...

My bad. I just realized the vignetting I saw was due to stacking filters.

Mine came with Oly Viewer, and I do sometimes use that to make tiffs in windows, then use them in Linux. My main issue here is tiff file sizes, but thanks for the suggestion... I would consider using the program, but the price I saw seemed pretty steep.

I have considered the Hackintosh route, but I think you need access to a Mac. Also from the limited experience I have, I think Linux seems far more compatible with Windows users and accessories.

Also personally, I have often been surprised by how good and useful the free programs are. Most of the time I find the main issue is instead of 1 program that does 10 things, start to finish, I use 10 programs that each do 1 or 2 things really well.

Anyway, once again thanks for the suggestions and comments all.