1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for inserts for Timbuk2 Classic Messenger-Small for OMD EM5 + a couple lenses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kpp80202, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    I have the 2013 version of the Classic Messenger bag--size small--that I'd like to re-purpose as a discreet camera bag. Right now, I've got an OM-D EM-5 with a Panny 20/1.7 on it and a 14-42 kit lens. I plan to purchase an Oly 45/1.8 in the near future, and hope to replace the kit lens with the Oly 12-40 by year's end. I'll also be carrying the mini flash and extra batteries with me. So, I need an insert that would hold the body+a "big" lens, plus the two small primes, plus a minimal amount of additional stuff. I know that Timbuk2 has inserts that should fit, but I wanted to know what other options there are. Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been looking for separate inserts that I can put into other bags and packs, funnily enough for my E-M5 and a couple of lenses.

So far I like these ones the best, not too big and lots of dividers for our little m4/3 things:

• Tenba Pro Digital 2 Photo Insert (Grey)
    • BBP Camera Paddy Insert (Olive/Yellow/Blue)

There were others, but are all difficult to get in New Zealand where I am, so I ordered a yellow BBP one. We shall see!

3. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    There is a guy in malaysia who makes brilliant messenger bags and camera inserts. Check ou my other post a few months ago.

Http://www.greenroom136.com

I have timbuk2 messengers but his are much better quality and more waterproof.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Very nice, but shipping abroad is very expensive. Looks like they don't make the waxed canvas bag versions of the bags anymore? Too bad. They looked really good.

6. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    He has actually just released a limited batch sale of the waxed canvas bags. I really wanted one but they won't be available until August and I needed the bag for my vacation in July so I opted for a custom bag instead. Each bag is hand made and the quality is superb. They will last a lifetime. Link to waxed canvas bag below.
    http://greenroom136.com/store#!/~/category/id=2604740&offset=0&sort=normal

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh cool, that's the BBP one I ordered. Are the side compartments of the insert (with the horizontal dividers) big enough to fit multiple little primes like the 45mm and 7.5mm separated by the dividers? A picture of how things pack in would be greatly appreciated :D

8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Suggestions for inserts for Timbuk2 Classic Messenger-Small for OMD EM5 + a c...

Hi,

Sorry for the crappy pics...

1. Em-1 w 12-40 pro mounted, 17mm, 45mm, flash (hidden)
    2. Showing 3rd divider folded over under em1 to contain / protect the flash. There's more room under there, maybe a BCL could fit too.
    3. (1) above plus 14-42 & 40-150 kit zooms. One is stacked under the other two on left; the 40-150mm is on the right.

ALL of the lenses have hoods mounted, most reversed.

Even my biggest 4/3 lenses (7-14, 8mm, 12-60, 70-300) will fit in either side.

I keep the smaller lenses in soda cozies or cloth pouches so they can be stacked.
    There's still a LOT more room for more small lenses with more stacking, or even a large lens in middle bottom by rearranging the 3rd divider although the Velcro would be annoying.

Removing the lens from body would allow more use of third divider.

Barry

ImageUploadedByMu-431403232105.708971.

ImageUploadedByMu-431403232187.378325.

ImageUploadedByMu-431403232367.222910.

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Btw, the mesh pockets on the lid can hold caps, batts, and a BCL.

Barry

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I actually really like the Timbuk2 Snoop inserts! The small size has a zippered flap (you can always fold it down behind if you don't want to use).

11. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    Thanks everyone, looks like I have a few workable options.