1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Suggestions for getting started with selling photos online

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sab110, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM.

1. sab110

sab110 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm finally at a point with my photography where I've settled on a system (mu43), am comfortable with my gear (EM1.2 + some PRO lenses), honed my skills considerably, and learned how to get the most out of my shots in post processing. So, I thought it might be time to start building a portfolio from which I can sell my photos online. What might be the best way to do this? Is stock photography still a good way to go?

2. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, stock is probably still a good way to get started, but you have to sell a lot as each sale is typically small.

3. I sell through Alamy and Redbubble. Alamy is stock, and Redbubble is art. I get good sales through redbubble on my fish pictures as fishkeepers like hanging art for their fishrooms but apart for the odd bird pic, not much else. Alamy gives a price to the buyer and you get 50% return. The secret to sales is as much about tagging as it is about technically good images. I've sold a few that weren't particularly good but just happened to be tagged with what the buyer was looking for.

This one netted me $175

JAWRAB.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This sold yesterday and netted $45...................it's surprising what can sell if you tag as if you were a buyer looking for something in particular. It's just a family snapshot of my son on the walls of York Castle photographing York Minster, but tagged with "tourism" "yorkshire" "English Culture" "York" and other tags relating to history and the Brit way of life, and I always add "lifestyle" and leisure" it sold

FTDFDJ.jpg

And this one has sold quite a few times the last time netting $97 for "Licence covers use within a single video to be shown on digital advertising media for 12 months." It's a scan of an old print of my son (the same son as the one above) :)  and isn't particulalry sharp and has burnt highlights................but there ya go!................it sells! :-
    FM8TTD.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 1:04 AM
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. sab110

sab110 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2017
    Which stock websites are recommended? Why alamy?

5. 1. You can send us anything
    Unlike other agencies we don’t edit on content; our Quality Control (QC) checks are just on technical criteria. Our customers love us and the encyclopaedic nature of our collection – we have a bigger, broader and more unique collection than any other stock library, so we want everything you’ve got. If you think you have a stock image that a customer might want, then we just need to be confident that our customers are not going to have any technical issues when they buy your images.

2. Good percentage and a non-exclusive contract
    We offer you a better deal than most other agencies, if your images are Exclusive with us you will receive 50% of all direct sales. Image not Exclusive to Alamy will receive 40% of all direct sales (the industry average is 30% to the contributor). We’re really easy to work with, we’re non-exclusive and we don’t tie you into a long-term contract.

3. We’ve got dedicated sales teams around the world
    We have established sales teams in key markets (US, UK, Germany and Australia) and you also have the option of signing up to our network of partners who can sell your stock images to customers in most other countries and regions.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. sab110

sab110 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2017
    My first batch of three photos were accepted at Alamy. Is it worth it to have work spread across multiple sites?

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I don't have the time to go into all the ins and outs of stock photography (been at it for over 30 years). But I feel as if I need to mention one thing. If you put photos up at one place under rights managed you can't legally put them anywhere else. People who buy rights managed want to know everything a photo has been used for (don't want to use a photo a competitor has used or for something they don't agree with). If you did and they later found out the photo was sold on another site for say a competitor you will get sued by the company that bought the photo as well as who ever they got the photo from (as in Alamy as an example). I am exclusive with Alamy but stuff they don't accept I do send out to the micro-stock sites as royalty free, may as well make a little money off the images if I can.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.