1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestions for a 'wide' legacy lens on a Panny G1 body

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pablochaterji, Feb 12, 2011.

1. pablochaterji

pablochaterji New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Hey all! I'm new here and have just begun diving headlong into the m4/3 (and 4/3) with legacy lenses world.

I've owned an Oly e510 with the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses, plus the fabulous Zuiko 12-60, for about three years now - I barely use the kit lenses, though. I used to shoot film on a Contax G1, with 35mm and 90mm Zeiss lenses, and I basically bought a used G1 body just so I could use the Zeiss glass again, with an adapter (it's next to impossible to shoot film in India any more). I have some old Nikon glass as well, plus I've also bought a few more used lenses, the lot of which are listed below:

24mm f2.8 Pentax 110
    28mm f2.8 Sigma Mini-Wide II
    50mm f1.4 Nikkor
    50mm f1.4 Yashinon DS
    58mm f2 Helios
    85mm f1.8 Nikkor

I'm currently bidding on a 40mm f1.8 Hexanon and am also thinking about getting hold of a Voigtlander Skopar 21mm f4 that someone's offered me.

With all this being said, does anyone have suggestions about a used 28mm to 35mm equivalent lens that I can buy, so I have a prime wide lens (apart from the 14-42 Oly zoom)? I'd be willing to save and put down about $300, but I welcome suggestions that don't break the bank!

Thanks!

2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    You will struggle to do nearly as well, let alone better, than what you've already got, in the form of your Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm. I have the Olympus 11-22mm and that works brilliantly with my G1, albeit by way of manual focus only. Look no further until improved wide-angled micro Four Thirds lenses are produced, which should happen within a matter of months. In the meantime, buy another adapter.

3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Even though i am an advocate of legacy lenses for Wide angle DO NOT take any non optimized lenses for your sensor size. What i mean by wide angle on pany is something around 17mm and below. Lenses with relatively low distortion like a tokina 28 F2.8 or a great Tamron 28 F2.5 are absolutely fantastic on micro 4/3 but they will only give you a standard lens. I recently tried the acclaimed Tamron SP 17 F3.5, this lens has 2 major problems on M4/3 it is soft , and it is not really a wide angle on top of the already known disadvantage that is prone to flare. Since then i decided to save up .....
    My suggestion:

Tokina RMC 28 f2.8

Tamron BBAR adaptall 2 28 F2.5 ( there is a24mm version haven't tried it )

Carl Zeiss Jena II Macro 24 F2.8 ( Zeiss made by cosina under licence most probably a cosina version is available )

Cosina 28 F2.8

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I can't afford it, but I've read good things about the Voigtlander Heliar 15mm. I think there's even an image thread dedicated to that lens on here--look around.

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Here's the thread https://www.mu-43.com/f81/cosina-voigtlander-15mm-f-4-5-super-heliar-image-thread-1523/
    I've also used this lens for some time and posted several images in other threads.

Some of them below:-

https://www.mu-43.com/f57/65-year-old-veteran-bus-rescue-article-published-local-paper-5900/

https://www.mu-43.com/f60/haytor-granite-tramway-4924/

Barrie

6. The price advantage of legacy lenses disappears at 20mm and below. Legacy lenses start to get more expensive than the natives at 17mm.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks for finding it.

ALSO: many of those images have me jonesing for that lens!! Seems like a nice, sharp prime that's a joy to work with. For landscapes (for which I would be using it) does AF really matter that much?

• Like Like x 1
  8. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Personally I find a manual lens such as the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 much easier to use in a situation where you want to maximise the depth of field, as in landscape work, I just don't feel in control of modern auto focus lenses.

Barrie

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm pretty much in agreement. None of the legacy lenses listed will give you a FOV of what we would expect to see in a wide angle.

A 15mm or 12mm Heliar is going to run you as much the Olympus 9-18mm m43 lens (also compatible on the G1). Plus the m43 native lens will be optimized for the sensor size.

10. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    You're probably right - that piece of Zuiko glass is something else! However, it's also rather big and heavy, so I guess I'm looking for something that's smaller, lighter and will give me a wide angle. I'll keep an eye out for further developments in the m4/3 lens field, as you suggest :) Thanks!

11. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Thanks for the advice, I'll check out some of the lenses you've suggested :)

12. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Haha, that's a great story about the bus! :) Nice shots with the Heliar, too - seems eminently worth a look!

• Like Like x 1
  13. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Yes, so it appears, from what I see on ebay :) I'm being offered the 21mm f4 Skopar for $175 though, and it's in great shape. Does that seem like a good deal, and is it a lens worth having? Thanks!

14. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it :)

15. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
  16. pablochaterji

Feb 12, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Thanks, Barrie!

• Like Like x 1