Suggestions for a good Adapted Macro Lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by okinana, Jan 11, 2012.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey guys, what is a good macro legacy lens out there? Affordable (<$150 maybe) and with good IQ.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I paid $200NZ (probably similar to $150USD) for a 50mm f3.5 Zuiko OM Macro - its only 1:0.5 but most entry level macro's in this price range are too.

Works well and the image quality is fine for me (shooting mostly flowers).

Theres a few related threads on the forum already -

I'm keeping my eye out for teleconvertors and 1:1 macro lenses but I think I need to refine my technique a lot more first.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    The Kiron 105mm (I sold one on here just a bit ago) is by far the best value (IMO).

1:1 without an adapter, TACK SHARP wide-open, and very nice focus action.

Other than that, the Minolta 50mm f/3.5 is very good and cheap as is the Vivitar 100mm macro.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I have a 24-105mm KIRON in a FD mount and I love it. I have a camera for sale here and the pictures were taken with the KIRON.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I second this suggestion.

This lens also goes by the Lester A. Dine Dental Macro or the Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro (as long as the serial number starts with '22', designating Kiron make). They are all the same lens as the Kiron 105mm f/2.8. I have the Vivitar version, and it is excellent. Not only is the lens great but I also like the 100mm format for macros as well, as it's still short enough to wield yet long enough to offer great working distance.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Can someone tell me what I need to mount these lenses on a m4/3 camera?
  7. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Do a google for lens adapters. There are tons of them out in the market. The one you quoted on is a Canon FD to M43 adapter..about $20 on ebay from a butt load of sellers. Hope this helps
  8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I've been using the "Komine made" Panagor branded 55mm F3, same lens as the Vivitar 55/2.8. Mine is Konica mount, is multi-coated, and goes to 1:1 without an extension tube.

"Random Ebay Example"

Vivitar Auto Macro 55mm f2.8 - for Minolta mount | eBay

I use it at work with an full-spectrum converted EP2, visible+infrared. Much lighter than a Nikkor 60/2.8, and was much less money. I end up using the 55mm and 60mm macro's much more than the 105 and 200 Micro-Nikkors. But for outdoor work, the extra reach of the longer lenses is nice.
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Pentax super takumar 50 is pretty decent, and a set of tubes and you'll still have cash leftover from your budget. Adapter you'll need is m42 to m4/3.
  10. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Nikkor 55/3.5 pre-AI with a 1:1 adaptor (PK3) wil set you back $40 for the lens and $15 for the adaptor at KEH for BGN condition. Good lens. Cheap fun. :) That's what I picked up for my film kit and it works well on my E-PL1. I don't do a lot of macro so I'm not too fussy, FWIW.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i can also recommend the om 50mm 3.5 1:2 macro. i got it here for 60$(?) iirc, and then i got a auto 25 extender for 10$ more locally. so for 70$ the OM 50mm 3.5 auto macro (which is well regarded for all uses kind of lens) and a 1:1 macro setup.
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Minolta Rokkor 50mm macro. Super sharp lens. I see them sell for around seventy US dollars.

Good Luck,
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Here's one with a 55mm 3.5 Nikon K with a fotodiox adapter..
    It'll only do 1:2 without an adapter but for most things it's close enough for me. I may get an M2 ring later. They're about $15 and gets the 55m to 1:1.
  14. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

A decent Jupiter-8 with a four-piece set of M39 macro rings - for half your target budget. You'll have four different levels of magnification and a great walk-around lens.
  15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I have the same lens, Vivitar-branded in a Nikon F mount, which I got from someone on Craiglist for $45. Some of my pics using it are in the Adapted Lens Archive on this forum. It's lovely for portraits too, actually.