Suggestions for a about travel lens for G-3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MartinK, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    I originally had the G-2 and felt my upper usage ISO was limited to 800. As a result, when I put the slow 14-140 lens on the camera I felt it came up short. That is, once I zoomed beyond the kit lens max zoom of 40mm the f-stop was so high I felt I could not hand hold the camera steady enough for indoor or limited light situations.

Now with the G-3 I feel I can go to 1600 ISO. So I’m looking for a versatile lens, wide enough for location shots, and zoomed enough for picking out details. Hopefully, fast enough that I can hand hold it indoors or with limited light. In other words a walk-about or street lens.

Has anyone used the 14-140 with the G-3 in moderate to indoor low light?

Does anyone have a recommendation for another walk about or street lens?

Your input is much appreciated.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally, I find that it's useful to have a daytime zoom and a nighttime prime. That gives me a lot of flexibility and laziness when there's light, but when it comes to night I can still take nice pictures. Which prime is totally up to you and what you like to shoot; the 12, 14, 20, 25, and 45 are all very strong choices.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I use my 20mm and 45mm for low-light, indoor use, and it's fast enough most of the time. The FOV and speed of the 12mm f/1.4 would be ideal for indoors, but I can't justify the cost at this time.

Until someone comes out with a fast, constant aperture zoom, there isn't much to select from among zooms as all are no faster than f/4 wide open, which I've found inadequate for most low-light/indoors use.

I think your best bet is the 20mm or new 25mm f/1.4 with foot zoom.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Go through the shots you have, and then average out the focal length of all the shots (in Exif) and then chose 3 or 4 fast primes both shorter and then longer than what you usualyl shoot.

My choices were Panny 20mm f17, 28mm Nikon 2.8, 40mm Voigtlander 2.0, and 50mm Nikon 1.4.

My "average" focal length work out to around 60mm, so I shot for above and below 60mm (30mm in :43:)

5. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    The 14-140mm is the swiss army knife of lenses, but indoors it's a little slow. I find that the 20mm is great for most indoor shooting, and I'm getting attached to the 45mm 1.8.

6. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Me personaly I would go with 2-3 primes. There small enough to put in a jacket pocket, or your wifes purse. Pluss fast enough for indoor use. You can have many different combos with the 12,14,20,25,45. Pick 2 or 3 depending on your buget. There isn't a stinker among them. Or you could go with one on the low end, one on the high, and a telli of your choice. In that way you will have all bases covered. It's hard or nearly imposible to have every siuation covered with one lens. Unless you know ecactly what your going to shoot.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I echo Promit and Bill's opinions. Have a zoom for daytime use and one fast prime for low light and shallow depth of field photos.

The Oly 14-150 is lighter and smaller than the Pany 14-140, but you will not have IS, which can be important on the long end of the lens.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    for lowlight, the primes are recommended. 20mm 1.7, 25mm 1.4, etc...

the rumored panasonic x zoom lenses might also be options in the future. :biggrin:

9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Depending upon when you are traveling, I sure would consider the new Lumix PZ X 14-42 mm lens if it is as good as suggested. This focall length s a good range for many travel shots and it ought to have better IQ than the 14-140mm and offer about 0.5 stops more light. Furthermore, if you shoot video, the power zoom and O.I.S. ought to be a wonderful adjunct.

Oh yes, these are just my thoughts. I have not seen nor know much about the lens other than what others are saying.

Best regards,
    Tom

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In my travels, I use the 20/1.7 and 45-200 by far the most. I MIGHT use the 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 more if it AF'd faster.

Obviously, the 45-200 is only good during the day or on a tripod.

I am looking forward to the upcoming fast zooms for precisely these reasons.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    And the 45-200 can double as a decent portrait lens @ 45mm!

12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Is the kit lens really that bad? Personally, I don't see much difference with shots taken using that lens and, say, the 14mm prime. And I find that f/4 is enough for my daytime needs.

As I usually don't use long-ish focal lengths, I find that the kit lens plus a prime or two for indoor/low light/nighttime shots (usually the 20mm plus sometimes a Canon FD 50mm, or maybe the 45mm, which I have yet to receive!) would be suitable enough for me.

13. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    All the people suggesting the 20/1.7 seem to be forgetting that the slow zooms are stabilised and the fast primes aren't, so on a Panasonic body I'd actually expect the zoom to have a slight advantage for non-moving scenes, or situations where motion blur is actually an advantage. Obviously, for shots of people at wide or normal focal lengths, IS doesn't help that much.

(Personally, if I had to travel with just one lens I'd still pick the 20/1.7 over any of the zooms, but I'm willing to admit that I'm a bit strange!)

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IS ain't gonna make up the exposure advantage in these focal lengths.

I was in Italy last week, and G3+20/1.7+ISO6400 is un-freakin-believable. Talk about getting images in pitch-black darkness ...

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Last time I traveled (spent about a month in Spain and Portugal) and I found that 95% of the time I used an Olympus 14-54 4/3rds lens with my E-520. I took a bunch more stuff and most of it almost never came out. The 14-54 was a really useful focal length for most things (and is a great lens). That trip in fact is when I decided to switch to m43. I really didn't like lugging gear around. My gut feeling is that I'd take my G2, 14 and 20 and be done with it. That said, the 14-45 would be a super useful focal length for traveling in which case I'd leave the 14 home.

I wish there were a compact m43 lens available of the same quality as that Olympus 14-54.

16. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    The kit lens does 90% of what you will need it for, in fact you can even use it for night shooting on the G3 with success.

I'd stick with it, its very versatile.