suggestions for 2nd body...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hey guys i have an omd as my main camera and the other day when i went "birding" and i felt that i needed (wanted) a second body so i could avoid changing lenses so often out there, specially that outdoors in new zealand includes a lot of wind, sea breeze, dust,etc. i was thinking of getting a second omd but they are still expensive. but if i see a good deal i might jump to it, but ive seen some people using the gx1 as a second body considering the latest deals on the body of that camera, is there any sacrifice in terms of image quality in between the two up to iso 2500? or should i just wait for the new omd next year or something? im thinking of carrying the p7-14 in one camera and the p20 or p12-35 on the oother or the p12-35 or p20 in one and the p100-300 on the other...

• Like Like x 1
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I would wait to see the performance of the new Oly E-PL5, assuming it indeed does have the same sensor as the OMD. I have the GX1, but haven't tested it at high ISO; just seems that 2500 would be a stretch for it. That's not fact-based; hopefully someone can cite some performance tests.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'm jealous of any photographer who is able to bird with lenses that have a focal length less than 200mm (35mm equiv.)! I still rely on my D300, long lenses and tripod for BIF.

--Ken

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    what do you mean "birding" with less than 200? i do birding with the pana 100-300 which is oerfect for that! you can check some of my first results at "Tiri tiri matangi" in theimagethread tab

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Works for wading birds, perched raptors, etc. For BIF, not so good. I love birding with binoculars, but have never had the equipment or patience for bird photography.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Chris, I will recommend a 2nd OMD E-M5 is you are shooting critical photo shoots that needs to have quick change and swapping between bodies. If just for fun shoots, I suggest getting one of the smaller Micro 4/3s bodies like the Panasonic GX1 or an Olympus EP3 or its siblings. Cheers!

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    makes sense, ill wait for photokina and see if the prices drop a little bit on the camerasin general and then ill make a decision, yes i would love to have two serious main cameras. but if not a gx1 like you say might help using it till iso800 or so?

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I would suggest staying with Olympus in some form just for the similarities in menus and controls. Switching between bodies with very different menus/controls would drive me nuts in the midst of shooting. :smile:

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I recommend the obvious... (which is very commonly the decision for many professionals)

Get the Same exact camera, in your case another OMD.

* No mental task switching when going between cameras.
    * Same batteries
    * Same charger
    * (Often overlooked) Same exact workflow in post process.

In some cases, you want different cameras that compliment their capabilities. In the past, I would carry a Canon 5D and 1DMark II. One has FF sensor with very good low light sensitivity... the other has extraordinary metering and AF capabilities w/ weathersealing. Today, I still carry a M8 and M9 for completely different reasons.... very similar to yours.

You are not looking for complimentary capabilities but more convenience and speed. Different cameras will do nothing but add complexity for absolutely no reason... slowing you down.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would also second the opinion of another OMD. They are already hitting the classifieds with great regularity and the way people around here change cameras as frequently as their underwear, just wait until the GH3 arrives. People will be fighting with each other to see who can drop their price the fastest to close the sale. OMD body prices will be $700 in a couple months.

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well my 2nd body is my EP3. Haven't touched it in months. :tongue:

Now that it is cooling off and I will be really getting out there for wildlife shooting I will be using two cameras more with the hulking 400 AIS on my EM5 and the 75/300 on my EP3. The lighter setup for quick hand holds of opportunity when I'm set up somewhere with the heavy rig and something photographically desirable happens behind me (bird in tree, etc) and moving around with the tripod would scare it away.

HOWEVER ... I will be wishing both cams were the EM5. My lazy old brain is happier with only one interface. Someday. :smile:

(Oly will probably never give us a firmware upgrade to focus peaking cause if they do there would be very little reason to upgrade the EM5 for years.) :mad:

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I like my GX1, and it takes decent high ISO pictures (take a look at the high ISO thread for examples on my GX1 at 1600-6400). That said, I have to agree with usayit here for the most part.

I've worked with two bodies (GX1 and G3) simultaneously, and even the slight differences between those two cameras threw me off a little bit. They shared the same batteries, memory cards, and charger but the button layout is slightly different and even that was enough to screw me up a few times.

That said, I'm planning getting a GH3 or G5 in the near future so I'll once again have two bodies that aren't a match. But if I were explicitly planning to take two bodies out at the same time to shoot back and forth with, two of the same camera would absolutely be my preference. So if you can wait a little longer and pick up a second EM-5 that's probably what I'd recommend over picking up another capable body like the GX1 or the like.

The other way to look at things is the second body is meant to provide something different; that's how I look at my GX1. It's a simple, square rangefinder-esque design that's on the smaller side whereas the G5/GH3 will be a more DSLR styled camera with a built-in viewfinder, larger grip, articulating screen etc. That gives me two totally different styles of camera to shoot with while still sharing lenses and other accessories. In that light, I don't mind having two different styles of camera body, since my main goal isn't swapping back and forth between them.

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think the answer is obvious and has already been well stated:

I have shot with two camera bodies off and on for years. In the really old days I shot wedding receptions with a Nikon F and a Nikon rangefinder, really nice old cameras that I collected for a time. Operationally those were close enough.

But with digital, my two bodies are identical and the programming is set to be identical. That way, when the leopard walks by the game drive vehicle and the 100-300 is suddenly too long, I grab the body with the 14-140 on it and shoot. With birds it's the same scenario.

Here's one, uncropped, shot at 82mm (35mm equivalent) when this old guy decided to come over and check us out: P1020750.

(I have a blue body and a black one. The 14-140 is almost always on the blue body, so it's very fast to reach into the bag and grab the correct camera. If they were the same color I would color-code them with tape on the backs.)

Nothing at all wrong with that, but it is not a configuration for speed. It is a configuration for situations where fast changes are less necessary. Landscapes perhaps, situations where more thoughtful and deliberate photography is being done. Birds and leopards don't wait. Mountains and flowers do. IMHO, anyway.

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Right, hence this bit in my post:

"But if I were explicitly planning to take two bodies out at the same time to shoot back and forth with, two of the same camera would absolutely be my preference"

No question, if the explicit purpose is to do dual body shooting, I would want two of the same camera, same settings and presets. :2thumbs:

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thanks for all the suggestions guys much appreciated !, but the reason on why i was thinking or even suggesting another camera like the gx1 was because one of my main concerns is the p7-14 + omd combination with that terrible purple flare. i know and understand the ui part of things and i would love to have two omds but i want to see how some other people could fix that uwa thing with an omd. :confused:

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, that would be another viable reason to pick 2 different bodies instead of a matched pair I guess. That's kind of a shame since in most other respects everything in m4/3 is so easily interchangeable. The 7-14mm + EM-5 is apparently a major exception with the purple reflection/flare issue.

Anyway... on the Panasonic front, I can recommend the GX1 for sure, and I've heard nothing but good things about the new G5 ergonomics and performance. I will note the G3 was also a great camera and an amazing bargain at current prices. However, for me the GX1's couple of extra manual controls and more solid feel won out over the G3. Since my G3 bit the dust in an accident, I'll be replacing it with the GH3 or G5.

17. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I would hold off until the new omd comes out and either get the new one or another omd with different body style. In the mean time pick up an EPL1 if you must have a second body ASAP, they are pretty inexpensive now.

18. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you go birding then you're likely to have a long zoom on the 2nd body as well. If that's the case I'd suggest a GH2 or G5 (I am assuming you want to not spend a fortune on it right?). The mini-DSLR body style is comfortable and handles large lenses really well. I also think you'd probably not see a huge amount of difference in the IQ with the E-M5. You wouldn't have IBIS but depending on the lens you might have it there. As much as I like my GX1 I wouldn't think it would handle larger lenses nearly as well.

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry. :frown: I will try to read more carefully next time.

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Chris
    I have OMD ,GX1 , EPL2 and NEX 5N at my disposal .I was thinking of getting NEX 5N as second body as it got raving reviews on internet but after handling it physically , I was more inclined to keep GX1, Its a beautiful camera and stands up there with OMD in AF speed, ISO performance upto 1600 yeilds pretty noise free images and almost usable ISO 3200. Its very nicely built , very good controls and the best thing is you can get a brand new body between USD 375-400.I am gonna keep GX1 and giving EPL2 to my daughter.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder